If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Ordering Photos by Folder

In previous versions of Plex I have managed to order my photo libraries by Folder. However in Version 3.32.2 I seem to have lost that ability.

Does anyone know how I can get it to work in a similar way?

Thanks

Answers

• osbahrosbahr Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

Just realized the same - how on earth am I supposed to find the photos I'm looking for when it's all one long mess of pictures?! Seriously, let us have "Browse by folder/subfolder" back!

• Andrew CortesiAndrew Cortesi Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same. I just added ALL my Home Photos and Videos and just discovered you are not able to "Browse by Folder" when creating a new Photo Library. Yet for some reason, if you create a new Other Videos, Movies, or TV Show Library this feature is enabled. Why would users not be able to Browse by Folder/Sub Folders to view the thousands of photos they own?? Viewing them all in one giant Photo or Timeline space is no help at all. Especially after we've obviously spent time organizing them.

Another thing I'd like to mention: A Photos Library already gives you the option to add and view BOTH photos and videos together. Plex, why not make this clear to users? Right now you give the user the option to first select the type of Library: Movies, TV Shows, Music, Photos or Other Videos. But when it comes to Home Videos/Photos, I like to personally group my Home Videos/Photos together in one folder by EVENT. (So for example the folder "Christmas 2017" would contain a "Photos" folder and a "Videos" folder). I'm not going to create two separate Plex libraries, one for photos and one for videos for the same event. A Photos Library technically combines the two already and sees these videos but it's not clear to users.

Anyway, like ALL the other Libraries, please give users the ability view Photo Libraries "By Folder". I can't use Plex for personal Home Media Management (aside from Movies and TV Shows) if this is not fixed. Thank you.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,868Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why would you expect Plex to do anything to make browsing photos either easy or even correct? The cannot even fix the BUG that prevents browsing by file name. In my photo library it seems like there is just some random, but consistent, order chose,. And NO there is no metadata in the files at all. When I choose "name" for sorting on my 2000 file picture library where the pics are numbered 0001-2000 a file beginning with 1700 is firs followed by 1703 followed by 1704 followed by 1702. Then later in the list there is 0024 followed by 0137 and it goes on like that with the very last being 0233.

If Plex cannot even get simple file ordering correct I would never expect them to be able to provide a more complex "browse by folder." Maybe the programming of the photos section is handled by someone that was dropped on their head as a baby and has never learned even the basics of counting.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• matt@ramcor.commatt@ramcor.com Posts: 1Members

I echo the above posts. With the latest updates my photos are a complete mess. I have all of my photos organized by year and now in plex there are thousands of folders and it is impossible to find anything. Plex please fix this or I will be forced to find a different solution!

• peterdzepeterdze Posts: 1Members

Agree with what has been said above, I'd like to have "Browse by Folder" option always available regardless of media type. This especially holds true for huge personal photo library.
    For the time being I've found a workaround. My photo library is organized by years then by months and days. I can open normal folder structure, if I search for a specific year in a general search box, e.g. "2017". The first result is Photo Album called "2017" and once I open it, I can see the normal folder structure underneath it with all the months, etc.

• oroyeroroyer Posts: 65Members ✭✭

Plex was never that good for pictures (and this is an understatement) but now they really did it by removing the option of sorting by folders.... what were they thinking???

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 415Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why? Wrecking good functionality and introducing crappy new features is 100% the new roadmap. So far everything is in best order.

• IppisIppis Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep, this is a big problem. Please bring back the "by folder" filter.
    Using Plex cloud version 1.9.1.260,

• dreamer81dreamer81 Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Photos has always been useless without a simple slideshow feature. Now I can start looking for something else, cause without folders, it's just one huge mess!!

• electricOzoneelectricOzone Posts: 102Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello Plex? We haven't heard one word from you for over a month. Please get this issue resolved ASAP. @MovieFan.Plex @kegobeer-plex

• electricOzoneelectricOzone Posts: 102Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 9

Hello Plex? We haven't heard one word from you for over a month. Please get this issue resolved ASAP. @MovieFan.Plex @kegobeer-plex

• Plex IdentityPlex Identity Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Would love to browse my photo's in folders.

I have my photo's ordered as following:
    .../Year/category/event

• granensbogranensbo Posts: 1Members

Yes please, bring back the folder browsing view for photos!!! I mainly used Plex to be able to get access to my photo collection on my home server, organized in folders, through my Android phone. As it is now it's pretty useless to me, since it's impossible to find anything.

• Gill FamilyGill Family Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 12

will second that, all my photos are organized in folders and subfolders, would like to see this back on all plex apps

• pablohauser@gmail.compablohauser@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yup, this is completely stupid, and as far as I can see no answer from anyone from PLEX

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Posts: 2,664Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

This has been answered in a few other threads. There is a known bug that can cause the folder/photo view to become flattened under certain circumstances. It's being addressed in an upcoming server release.

• peetorpeetor Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

drzoidberg33 thanks for the reply. Is there a rough timeline ETA for this fix? PLEX rocks for everything except for pics at this point. I would LOVE to implement it for all my family/travel photos. Thanks for the hard work!

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Posts: 2,664Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited February 23

@peetor said:
    drzoidberg33 thanks for the reply. Is there a rough timeline ETA for this fix? PLEX rocks for everything except for pics at this point. I would LOVE to implement it for all my family/travel photos. Thanks for the hard work!

There are a few issues we're busy resolving in the Photos/Folder view. The big one that will be fixed in the next beta release is a bug that causes the entire folder structure to be flattened so all your photos and subfolders appear in the same view which makes that view unusable if you are affected by it.

We're also working to fix the sorting of these folders to make it a more consistent experience, that won't be out in the next beta but should be shortly after that.

• etomposetompos Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree it needs a folder naming scheme like movies and music. Most home videos, digitized content, and images from improperly set cameras don't include a correct datetime stamp. I have everything in folders by year and then within each year I have subfolders for each day coded as YYYY-MM-DD followed by a description. This keeps everything in order on my server, but in Plex it is completely out of order with no way to sort properly.

Plex needs a manual date override--it cannot rely solely on file metadata.

• IppisIppis Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@etompos said:
    I agree it needs a folder naming scheme like movies and music. Most home videos, digitized content, and images from improperly set cameras don't include a correct datetime stamp. I have everything in folders by year and then within each year I have subfolders for each day coded as YYYY-MM-DD followed by a description. This keeps everything in order on my server, but in Plex it is completely out of order with no way to sort properly.

Plex needs a manual date override--it cannot rely solely on file metadata.

Could not agree more. I'm using plex only for my home videos and photos.