If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Wondering where things are at with HDR support?

Just wondering where things are at with Windows 10, Plex, Nvidia, and support for 4k HDR content?

I upgraded my TV and HTPC (added a GTX 1060) a few months ago for 4k HDR and have yet to get HDR working with Kodi or Plex. Netflix did an update to their windows 10 app a few days ago that added support for HDR. Once I toggle the Windows 10 HDR switch Netflix works perfect with 4k HDR content. It looks amazing and I'm hoping to get all of my HDR content working with Plex next.

Thanks

Answers

• R0adratR0adrat Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm really interested to follow any updates re this as well. Currently messing about with different processes depending on the type of Media I'm watching. I just want to go back to the good old days of the plex one stop shop! At the moment it definitely doesn't pass the girlfriend/wife test for simplicity!

• FlookFlook Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

So far things are still a mess in Plex and Kodi for me.

It looks like I have Kodi playing HDR content by manually forcing HDR on in the TV settings and toggling the Windows 10 HDR setting off. Definitely a big pain and will never work for the family but at least it's something.

• CuthaCutha Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I got it working using a fork of Kodi called DSPlayer on Windows 10. I had already installed the Plex for Kodi add on in the official Kodi install and when I installed DSPlayer I just installed it to a different folder than my original Kodi install.

I tried everything I could find to get this to work and I was thrilled when Windows was updated to support HDR. That is until I flipped the HDR switch and it took all of 2 seconds for my family to start complaining about the washed out look.

I think the way it works is that DSPlayer launches madVR with the settings you configure inside Kodi. It took me a few tries to get it right but now I can play everything with one client and it switches to HDR as required.

I had so many problems to start and I had no idea there was such a thing as an HDMI "Premium" cable. My last hurdle is that the newer NVidia GeForce drives can have problems with the Windows Fall update. As soon as I installed the drivers from September (385.69) everything worked.

• KlownicleKlownicle Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My experience with HDR has been hit or miss as the updates come down in windows/nvidia. As of madVR 0.92.11, there is now a setting to let madVR decide how to handle HDR. And the newly released nVidia drivers 390.x series, now support the ability for madVR to seamlessly handle HDR playback in Media Player Classic with nVidia's private API rather than using the Windows 10 API. So the HDR switch in windows is actually left off and madVR handles the rest. So now, windows is set to Auto for everything or FULL RGB and you can just play a file like you would anything else without any special setting changes.

Given the fact that Plex to my knowledge doesn't use madVR and that madVR is the only true effective way for playing HDR content on the PC. I doubt Plex will be implementing this anytime soon given that the HDR functionality has finally stabilized with madVR. I know there are other ways for playing HDR content without madVR but those will require their own implementation at this point. And that's what I see Plex doing, but no time soon.

Let alone transcoding / re-encoding on the fly to devices that may not support HDR or devices that do at lower bitrates. There's more to Plex then just straight playing a file. Not so easy to implement imho.

• FlookFlook Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just saw the replies here. Thanks. I eventually got things working with Kodi DS, MadVR, MPC-BE, etc.. after a lot more work. Definitely a pain but it was doable.

I just find it nuts that on the PC side of things there is only this one obscure video renderer (madVR) that can handle HDR in Windows. All of these companies, Plex included, have yet to make players that can handle HDR!...although I did just see a VLC 3.0 announcement saying they support it all. I'll have to test it out.

• omniphilomniphil Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same boat here... Samsung 4k HDR set. Plex Media Player won't activate HDR playing directly from media server hooked directly to the TV. Sad face.....