If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is the DVR and Live TV function available on the Samsung Smart Hub app?

I have a 2015 JS8500 TV and a 2016 UBD-K8500 Bly-Ray player. I have a Windows 10 computer serving as the Plex Media Server. I have live TV recordings on the server that were recorded using Nextpvr and a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD tuner. I can view the recordings, pause, skip forward, etc. using the Plex app on both the TV and Blu-Ray player. If I purchase the Plex Pass, will I be able to watch live TV and use the DVR functions on the Samsung Plex apps?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• RKCRLRRKCRLR Posts: 4Members

Thanks for the response. I'll try to monitor this to see if the situation changes. I was resurrecting an older HTPC and was having some technical problems so I thought I'd step back and evaluate my options. Using the app on the TV seemed like something I should look at but I need full DVR functionality. I'll go back to trying to resolve my technical issues with the HTPC.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,586Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Don't get me wrong, you can still view the things you recorded with Plex by using the app.
    Recorded TV Shows, just end up in the TV Show section. It's just does not support the program-guide,
    But you can use Plex web to setup what to record.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

I understand. But my Dish Network contract is ending in a few months and I'm exploring cutting the cord. I need something Hopper like for the WAF. I need to be able to turn the thing on, start watching, pausing, and forwarding/rewinding live TV; and easily access the recordings. Even the Plex app would be challenging since it needs to be started after the TV is turned on.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,586Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Ah Ok, maybe the Nvidia Shield is a option for you. That does have what you want.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

Yep, that is one of the options I'm considering if the HTPC doesn't do what I want. The problem is my tuner needs an internal PCI slot so I need some kind of PC server somewhere in the chain; so I might as well have it connected directly to my TV and eliminate the additional box.

• geekduckgeekduck Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From what I see in a recording from Plex, Plex records the file in the transport stream format that is the same format that is received by the TV from the antenna and the TV is able to show terrestrial broadcast via antenna. I can record a file via plex, put the file on usb drive and plug it into my Samsung TV and the TV can play it. Why is it being said that the format the plex server uses is the issue? Is there a different format that used during live recording that is later translated into the final transport stream format that is saved to the disk?