If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Scan Library takes forever with heavy CPU load

mkummermkummer Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello and Merry Xmas! Since some days w/o any obvious change on my system, whenever I include new audios in my iTunes Library, the Plex Media Server starts to panic. At first the music files are scanned for metadata and that works. After a while, the scanning is ready. But then a process „Plex Library Scan“ starts and take the whole system with CPU load of 300 to 400%, memory is fed up quite 100% (I have 32 GB on my system) and the fans start to accelerate. Even after 30 and more mins later no change. I have to cancel the process in activity monitor to end the fireworks. I have the newest public beta of High Sierra running. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Michael

Best Answers

Answers

• sogalitnosogalitno Posts: 162Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have this problem on my Windows system... if you have the latest pass download they have added a new scanner process to go thru every file and analyze for loudness.. from what I read on another answer, this is going to 'play' thru every file to analyze the loudness so when you use the PLEXAMP (new app) it will work better.

so now every file in your music libraries will be analyzed until they are all done.

I had to stop plex completely. then i rolled back to the most recent version but that is doing it also. so today i am going to have to uninstall and go back another version.

this is extremely annoying ( i have many thousands of audio files). there is NO option to turn this off.. which there should be.

I am very disappointed with the programming of this feature - not only was there no notice (i cant find this in any version update list) but its obvious that this was not thought out. for those of us with large music libraries, this basically stops our systems dead in the water until every file is scanned. for me that is not an option as i need that computer.

so upsetting.

• mkummermkummer Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you for this insight. Perhaps the programing team can change it.

@mkummer said:
    Thank you for this insight. Perhaps the programing team can change it.

there has not been one response so far...

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,866Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I'm pretty sure Plex Server doesn't play every music file to get the loudness. I was running PlexAmp before it was released and I never noticed anything like that during my testing, and I didn't see anything like that in the discussion group we had. I will ask a few questions and see what the team has to say about it.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,866Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited December 2017

Your songs will be analyzed one time, and you will notice a CPU increase. This happened with my server with 7000+ songs on it, but it didn't cause any slowdowns for me. This thread will give you a bit more info:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/300767/the-butler-performed-loudness-analysis

Where are my log files?

Plex Dance

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

@kegobeer-plex said:
    Your songs will be analyzed one time, and you will notice a CPU increase. This happened with my server with 7000+ songs on it, but it didn't cause any slowdowns for me. This thread will give you a bit more info:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/300767/the-butler-performed-loudness-analysis

yes i read that thread...

as to your comment of how long it will take ... i have literally thousands and thousands of files - not songs - but recordings of several hours many of them. these are not songs that are a few minutes long.

I did not ask for plexamp i play on sonos and other systems that are better than my computer speakers.

when i was running the latest version of plex. there would be 10-12 scanner.exe processes running.. my pc was unusable. cpu utilization was maxed at 100% for hours on end. this actually went on for days before i could pinpoint where the problem was coming from.. i really couldnt believe it was plex until i tested it.

i uninstalled to the previous version and still the same thing. i have shut down plex. after windows does its update to FC Update (which it decided to do tonight) i will have to uninstall again probably two versions to get back to version 9 so as to not have the loudness deep analysis.

this change is not working for me. it may be for others but it has literally held my pc hostage. sorry i dont have a dedicated pc for plex .. so i will have to limp along on 9 until someone realizes this is a major problem and makes a change .

We should be given the OPTION for this kind of scanning. perhaps it could be scheduled during a time we dont need the pc - like a range (2 am - 6 am ) or NOT TO DO IT AT ALL.

but i hold little hope for this to happen.

Those are valid points. I've brought this up internally. It might be that the devs didn't consider people who have vast audio libraries with files that span hours instead of minutes.

Where are my log files?

Plex Dance

@kegobeer-plex said:
    Those are valid points. I've brought this up internally. It might be that the devs didn't consider people who have vast audio libraries with files that span hours instead of minutes.

yes. classical music is not a few minutes long - operas can be 3-6 hours. ;o

thank you . I appreciate your concern and attention to this.

You're welcome. When I know more I'll update the thread.

Where are my log files?

Plex Dance

Obviously it was a good idea to bring up this threat. Looking forward to see updates.

edited December 2017

@mkummer said:
    Obviously it was a good idea to bring up this threat. Looking forward to see updates.

yes there are a few other threads as well. apparently they have replicated it and acknowledge its a problem.

see

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/299630/plex-media-scanner-constantly-at-over-190-cpu-usage-since-last-update#latest

No change until now.

@mkummer said:
    No change until now.

something changed?

Accepted Answer

Update: newest version fixed the problem! Thanks.

edited February 25

@mkummer said:
    Update: newest version fixed the problem! Thanks.

which version? is there an option to choose not to run the loudness analysis?
    i dont see loudness analysis addressed

FIXES:
    (DVR) Back-to-back recordings would sometimes lose the second recording (#8168)
    (DVR) Parsing of dates in EyeQ data could potentially fail if format changed (#8209)
    (LiveTV) Crash when stopping LiveTV (#8169)

Version 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e of Server. Last time I included a CD in iTunes, Plex included it as intended too but stayed silent after updating the library. I did not change anything.

@mkummer said:
    Version 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e of Server. Last time I included a CD in iTunes, Plex included it as intended too but stayed silent after updating the library. I did not change anything.

OK but my issue is the loudness analysis runs on all my music only libraries without anyway of choosing NOT to run it. i have thousands of music files. so i cant update until there is a switch to say no thanks to loudness analysis. there has not been any update as to when that would happen.

I just found out from another topic that this is fixed and there IS a switch which was not mentioned in the release notes...

so i can now update to the new version... whew.

• 1dcabri1dcabri Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

oh... and where might this switch be, please? I couldn't find any ... :(