If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does the Roku Streaming Stick+ (2017) support direct play of 10-bit HEVC?

WhatNameWhatName Posts: 7Members ✭✭

Hi,
I host a plex server that has a variety of 1080p 10-bit HEVC media. The server is not powerful enough to transcode video, but can handle transcoding audio. I was under the impression that the new Streaming Stick+ (model 3810) would be able to direct play HEVC files, but after purchasing one and setting it up the server still attempts to transcode to x264. So a couple questions:

1. Can the Streaming Stick+ natively play 1080p 10-bit HEVC media?
  2. If so, is there a unique setting necessary to force direct play?

Apologies if this was already asked/answered, my searches came back fruitless. Appreciate the help!

Best Answer

• WhatNameWhatName Posts: 7Members ✭✭
    edited December 2017 Accepted Answer

Thanks for the response DFury. I'm not running the Plex Pass Preview version, and had "original" chosen for quality.

For anyone running into the same issue, I found that the Roku was playing subtitles by default. I wasn't letting it play the media long enough to actually see any subtitles being displayed. The trick was to select any media with a subtitle, go into the media selection, and set the subtitles to "none". The change to "none" seems to persist across media files.

So in my experience the Streaming Stick+ can direct play 10-bit HEVC media.

Answers

• monoxddmonoxdd Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭

same question

• DFuryDFury Posts: 262Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In a very limited sample-size, I haven't had any issues direct-playing 10-bit HEVC.

If you are using the Plex Pass Preview Channel...try the official channel instead, which has a different video player. There is an issue with the new player in the preview channel that is preventing HEVC from direct-streaming (that should be fixed soon).

In the video quality setting, make sure that you have the Plex app set to "original" under "local quality". Anything else will trigger transcoding in 4K content.

You can also set "direct play" to "Force"...but that will prevent the audio from being transcoded, which may cause issues.

edited December 2017 Accepted Answer

Thanks for the response DFury. I'm not running the Plex Pass Preview version, and had "original" chosen for quality.

For anyone running into the same issue, I found that the Roku was playing subtitles by default. I wasn't letting it play the media long enough to actually see any subtitles being displayed. The trick was to select any media with a subtitle, go into the media selection, and set the subtitles to "none". The change to "none" seems to persist across media files.

So in my experience the Streaming Stick+ can direct play 10-bit HEVC media.

• monoxddmonoxdd Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭

and with subtitles do transcoding?

@monoxdd said:

Yes, displaying subtitles with an HEVC video will require server-side transcoding.

• GoSpursGoGoSpursGo Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@WhatName said:

@monoxdd said:

Yes, displaying subtitles with an HEVC video will require server-side transcoding.

Do you know if this is the case even if the subtitles are sidecar .srt?

Thanks!

Sorry, don't know. All of my subs are vobsub, which are integrated into the mkv file. My guess would be that .srt would require transcoding as well.

• dev23007dev23007 Posts: 15Members ✭✭

interesting, bc I get a video unavailable error when I try to direct play any hevc 10 bit .mkv files from my pc to plex app via Roku stick +?? Not sure what I am doing wrong but its driving me nuts. Would plex pass fix my problem?