If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

issues playing 1080p videos with plex unraid

blagonicblagonic Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

hey

im wondering if someone can help me, ive noticed that certain videos wont play though plex mainly just 1080p videos all the videos that i come across that dont work i have been able to play them though vlc on my computer but been unable to play though plex, when i try though plex the videos just keep loading and never plays here are my specs for my server, i have even swaped my cpu from my computer usually the server has a pentium g4400, but even with the i7 the videos still wont play.

also ive setup a test server on my windows 10 computer with the i7700k and the g4400 and the files play fine so i think it something wioth the plex docker on unraid, im running PlexMediaServer from limetech on unraid.

as ive said its mainly with 1080p or higher files.

Model: Custom
M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - H270-Gaming 3
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB
Memory: 24 GB (max. installable capacity 64 GB)
Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500
Kernel: Linux 4.9.30-unRAID x86_64

Answers

• ukbobboy01ukbobboy01 Posts: 140Validating ✭✭

Well B

Have you checked your Plex settings?

Although my version of Plex is way older than yours, I've found that Plex has some visual settings in it, e.g. 4MB - 1080p, 4MB - 720p, 3MB - 720p, etc., so I'm guessing that your Plex has something similar that's set to 720p.

I could be wrong but have a look anyway.

UK Bob

• blagonicblagonic Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ukbobboy01 said:
    Well B

Have you checked your Plex settings?

Although my version of Plex is way older than yours, I've found that Plex has some visual settings in it, e.g. 4MB - 1080p, 4MB - 720p, 3MB - 720p, etc., so I'm guessing that your Plex has something similar that's set to 720p.

I could be wrong but have a look anyway.

UK Bob

I've tried to play at lower quality but it still doesn't work

• ukbobboy01ukbobboy01 Posts: 140Validating ✭✭

B

You have missed the point, you have to set Plex to play at a high setting. You see, Plex will not play higher quality files at lower settings, e.g. Plex will not play a 1080p file at 720p, so you have to set Plex to play at 1080p.

However, Plex will play all lower quality files when set to 1080p, i.e. 1080p, 720, 480, etc', files. So you have to find the proper settings and set them to 1080p.

Try again.

UK Bob

PS. Check the Plex app you are using for those quality settings as well, so there are two places to check, PMS on your media server and the app.

• blagonicblagonic Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi

I have tried what you suggested but still nothing