If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex app crashing on iPhone when i play synced movies on the Roku

SystemSystem Posts: 279 Plex Employee
This discussion was created from comments split from: Plex seems to have gotten unstable for me over the past couple months.

Comments

• deodradeodra Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Howdy! I recently started syncing some movies from my server down to my iPhone. I will, then, play from my iPhone to my Roku on my TV. Unfortunately, I am plagued with Plex app crashes on my phone. When I play locally on the phone, everything works fine. When, however, I am playing to a device, the app crashes.

iPhone: 7 Plus running latest updates
    App: 4.22
    Latest release of PMS

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,769Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@deodra said:
    Howdy! I recently started syncing some movies from my server down to my iPhone. I will, then, play from my iPhone to my Roku on my TV. Unfortunately, I am plagued with Plex app crashes on my phone. When I play locally on the phone, everything works fine. When, however, I am playing to a device, the app crashes.

Latest release of PMS

I am going to move your post to the Plex for iOS app forum as you are saying it is the app that is crashing and not the server

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,769Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@deodra said:

Latest release of PMS

I moved your post to the iOS forum.

Please could you get the Plex for iOS app logs after next crash
    See this support article https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs
    The section covering Emailing the device logs.
    Email to yourself and then attach the zip here
    plus indication of what time the crash arose and what was it that you played to the roku

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• Ravel36Ravel36 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 8

@sa2000 said:

@deodra said:

Latest release of PMS

See this support article https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs
    plus indication of what time the crash arose and what was it that you played to the roku

I have the same issue. As of this post I am using the most current Plex App and server (beta). I have an iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) and whenever I stream or cast from the iOS app to any other device (iOS, Roku, windows etc.) the Plex app on my iPad crashes. The crash has occurred through at least two iOS updates and Plex app updates. I am running iOS 11.2.5 beta. I have attached the logs from immediately after the crash on the iOS app.

@Ravel36 said:

@sa2000 said:

@deodra said:

Latest release of PMS

I have the same issue. As of this post I am using the most current Plex App and server (beta). I have an iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) and whenever I stream or cast from the iOS app to any other device (iOS, Roku, windows etc.) the Plex app on my iPad crashes. The crash has occurred through at least two iOS updates and Plex app updates. I am running iOS 11.2.5 beta. I have attached the logs from immediately after the crash on the iOS app.

Looking at the logs - but it would have helped to say what time the crash was and to what device you were casting to
    IP Address ? Device name ?

ok you said immediately after the crash - so checking end of log

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 654Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for reporting! We think the issue could be related to the new versions of the internal Plex Media Server we have inside the iOS app.

If we're right, it wouldn't be a bug in our code per se, but an incorrect parameter set in compilation, and that change happened in the last 2-3 months :confounded: We're still not 100% sure of this, so we'll keep testing.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

@Ravel36

We have not been able to find any crash reports uploaded for the times when the logs suggested it may have crashed.
    Logs had gaps in time at these times
    7th January - 19:14:32, 19:37:36 and 19:38:50

Could you check if there are still crash logs on the device itself in IOS
    Have a look at this support article https://support.plex.tv/articles/201636593-ios-logs/
    and look at section headed Crash Logs from iOS