If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DVR Commercial Removal and Audio gets out of sync

nickewinickewi Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

DVR Commercial Removal and Audio gets out of sync.

Have tried on two PCs and it even gets out of sync on a new AMD Ryzen 1700X processor.

Occasionally it works, but mostly the audio gets out of sync.

Is PLEX working on this or at least a way to adjust the audio to tune it back in to the lips?

Answers

• javierdlopezjavierdlopez Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same exact issue. Turned off commercial removal feature until it gets fixed.

• brenttempleton63brenttempleton63 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've noticed it seems to occur with non HD programs more than with HD ones. For example, old TV Shows and Movies that are still in the 4x3 format. So far, New HD content seems to skip properly.

• nickewinickewi Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had it happen with both old format and new HD. Not sure if they are working on it. Would be nice for the forums to be linked when they are actively working on issues.

• DustSt0rmDustSt0rm Posts: 89Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had this problem for a while. Mostly on hour long shows and in the 2nd half of the recorded show. Is there a fix?

I never had this problem with the free version of mcebuddy. I might go back to it...

• doug@laingelectronics.comdoug@laingelectronics.com Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Recorded the new 911 on the 2nd half the video and audio got stuck in little loops then moved forward in small loops until the end of the show

• jfreimanjfreiman Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 5

Audio sync after commercial removal is usally caused by a few "bad frames" at the beginning of the original video.
    Taking from between 3-6 seconds from the beginning of the file BEFORE commercial removal usually solves this issue.
    PLEX is pretty bad at auto correcting for minor frame errors and recording that play fine on the PC will be out of sync when viewed through Plex. When this happens, you can usually snip the first 2-3 seconds from your edited (commercial free) recording and Plex will play it fine. But if it can't....
    I have seen this caused by several factors -- Processing power is not one of them.
    Just as you say, it doesn't happen on every recording, but will always fail to sync with a particular recording. This can happen when your HDD can't write the start of several new recordings simultaneously ie: 4, 5, 6, etc shows start recording at 7:59pm and the buffer can't handle it. It can also happen (on Comcast) when recording programming on the cable networks (x264 channels) -- this is usually an error inserted into Comcast transcoding the 1080i/720p ATSC source and this is a little more tricky than cutting off the first few seconds of the recording... The original will play "fine" but usually there is a minor sync issue -- not enough to bother your watching of the original recording/live tv, but the error(s) introduced to the Comcast feed can't easily be adjusted for later.
    For cable shows I REALLY want to hold onto or ones which don't air often, I usually have my PC record the same episode 2x.
    The software MCEBuddy is really great for removing commercials and has tutorials on their website on how to modify the default settings to allow for errors in the video (actually, by default, the first 3 seconds before the show starts is cut specifically to avoid this issue (audio sync) without you having to manually fix every errant file/recording.
    I hope this helps you out.

• paul7paul7 Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I’ve had it happen to a recording even with commercial removal turned off. It’s a literal showstopper.

• brenttempleton63brenttempleton63 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree, I have switched away from PLEX as a DVR solution, very happy with Channels App for AppleTV and IOS, it identifies the commercials but doesn't try to automatically remove them. Will see if Plex improves over time and re-evaluate OTA DVR options.

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 1,034Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think the issue appearing with commercial skip is pure coincidence and not related. It seems to happen whether you delete commercials or not.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• jeff@jlfournier.comjeff@jlfournier.com Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have to agree with AmazingRando24. I too thought the sync issue that is occurring at the 28-32 minute mark in hour long TV shows was related to the Remove Commercial feature.
    I unchecked that and the problem remains. Also thought that it was only on the local Fox channel but now I am seeing it on the local NBC channel as well. Nothing works to resolve such as stopping, restarting, pausing, fast fwd and rewind.
    Have all the latest updates, have removed the recording schedule and added back as new but the problem persists. There are no recording conflicts, these are shows that are starting at various times with no others being recorded at the same time. This is on Shield Pro with Plex and HD HomeRun Quatro all wired Ethernet.

Any hope for a fix coming soon?

JF

• jamesbiglerjamesbigler Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having this same problem as well. About halfway through an hour long program, the video and audio go haywire.

I don't have commercials removed.

From my NAS when playing back, it appears as though there is a frame from the previous second that gets injected in the stream. From the NAS the audio/video sync remains OK, just the tiny blips from the previous second every few seconds.

When streamed from my Shield TV, the blips manifest as weird looping and out of sync audio/video.

I'm more than willing to upload a file I've recorded that has this problem.

• jaykarrjaykarr Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This only happens to TV recordings with commercial skip, after a skipped commercial break. It requires stopping the video playback, and resuming, to get the audio back in sync.

• jStortojStorto Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is happening to me as well, this happens and you basically miss the second half of the show. So I keep stopping and starting it in hopes that it will sync up.......nope. Need a fix please.

edited January 29

Mine never fixes when stopping and starting. I don't remove commercials.

• DdilksDdilks Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Audio and video are out-of-sync from the start but about 28 min into the recording it get's worse by going into a series of short loops. I never enabled commercial skip and strictly use mcebuddy. It appears to me that commercial skip may be executing on every recording regardless of the setting within Plex, however, I haven't reviewed processes and logs to confirm it. I just noticed that a new server updated was available so I updated. Hopefully this issue was resolved in the new release.

• jbguilletjbguillet Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For me, audio sync always starts just past the point where the commercial was removed. If I let it play out of sync a few seconds, then exit Plex, and then restart the same show where it left off, the sync is normal again.

• AnijakeAnijake Posts: 165Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

yep same here, just another broken part of this wonderful software /s

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 1,034Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The audio sync issue could be client based. When I experienced it, it was on the Windows Store app. Switching to Plex Media Player solved the issue. I have yet to experience this issue on the Roku at all.

It might help Devs to know what client's you're using, and if you've tried anything else.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

It is broken for the web browser app (at least from Chrome) and from the iOS app. I've even tried "optimizing" (transcoding the file from Plex), and the resulting file is also messed up. I don't believe this particular issue is client based.

• jeff@jlfournier.comjeff@jlfournier.com Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am running Plex and Plex server on client 2017 Nvidia Shield Pro using HD Homerun Quatro for OTA. The issue is occuring on OTA only for me and happens on some hour long FOX and NBC shows only.