If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4k playback using OpenPHT 1.8.0-148 and NUC7i5 Stutters....

shepscrookshepscrook Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2017 in OpenPHT

So I've been battling this for months now. Intel has had multiple firmware/driver releases to fix issues with 4k playback, and I think we're at a point where it does work. However, I am now seeing an issue that points at OpenPHT or some sort of configuration. When I attempt to play 4k content using OpenPHT, the video is stuttering, audio has no issues. Eventually the video turns to a distorted grey screen with blocks after a minute or so and then goes back to stuttering only to do the grey screen / blocks a minute later.

However, when I attempt to play the same file using Windows Media Player, there's no stuttering (at the moment no audio as I think I just need to play with ffdshow a little bit).

Media Players Tested:
Windows Media Player (Works but no audio, probably some ffdshow tweaks)
VLC 2.2.6 (Stutters)
Kodi Krypton (Works perfectly)
Plex Home Theater (Works perfectly)

**Player SPECS: **
Intel NUC7i5BNH
Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 640
2x8GB DDR4
250GB Samsung EVO
(Hardwired) Gigabit Network
OpenPHT 1.8.0-148
Windows 10 Pro x64
VLC 2.2.6 (Tested and VLC stutters, grey screen and is worse)
All intel drivers and firmware up to date.

Connected to Denon 4k Receiver via 4k rated High Speed HDMI (and have also tested USB-C - HDMI
Display is a TCL 65" 4k TV

**Player 2 SPECS: **
Intel NUC7i5BNH
Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 640
2x8GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950 Pro
(Hardwired) Gigabit
OpenPHT 1.8.0-148
Windows 10 Pro x64
VLC 2.2.6 (Tested and VLC stutters)
All intel drivers and firmware up to date.

This is connected straight to a Dell 24" 4k monitor (P2415Q)

**Server SPECS: **
2x Intel E5-2650Lv3
128GB DDR3 ECC REG
14x 4TB WD RED
Dual Gigabit Network Adapters

Media SPECS:
40.2GB @ 2hrs 20min
Video Stream: HEVC @ 33.9MB/s, 3840x2160 @ 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Audio Streams: DTS(HD)/AC-3, 4 382kb/s / 1 509kb/s, 48.0 kHz, 24 bits, 6 channels, DTS (MA / Core)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Best Answer

Answers

• _ToXIc__ToXIc_ Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dan-the-man- said:
    better to look at PMP or plex for kodi if 4k is your goal, openpht and 4k just not good, until/if openpht v2 comes out

thats interesting. i have openpht and have some lossless 4k samples in mkv format and it plays fine for me and looks great. is openpht down sampling it?

• dan-the-man-dan-the-man- Posts: 334Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

basally some variations of 4k openpht wont hardware decode essentially, will try and do it in software, so will be jerky etc.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Check out the Epic Aeon Nox Skin for OpenPHT
    Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

• shepscrookshepscrook Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dan-the-man- said:
    better to look at PMP or plex for kodi if 4k is your goal, openpht and 4k just not good, until/if openpht v2 comes out

Wow... that's just terrible news... Considering the current plex media player is horrendous when it comes to it's menu system.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1