Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Collections showing when viewing Movies by Title.

kevinbarrekevinbarre Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

As of yesterday, all Collections are showing in line with my Movies when viewed by Title. If I sort by Date Added, they go away. Happens when viewed on AppleTV or iOS. Please help me turn this off!

Best Answer

Answers

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,866 Plex Ninja

I'm just guessing, but since the collection doesn't have a date associated with it, it won't show up if you sort by date added.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,866 Plex Ninja

Yep, the only thing associated with Collections is title. So, if you sort by date added then you are just looking for media that you added, not any collections.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• kevinbarrekevinbarre Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

The collections didn't show up AT ALL until this week. How do I get the collections to go away completely when viewing by title? They don't show up in a web browser, only on Apple mobile devices.

• sovardsovard Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I just noticed this happening today (both Movies and Collections showing together) in Chrome when viewing the server through another computer on my network. I don't want to see collections at all, just the Movies alphabetically.

• kevinbarrekevinbarre Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

No matter how many times I go in and set it to "Disabled," the collections still show when listing movies alphabetically on AppleTV (but not on my iPhone). I've refreshed the content, and restarted the devices. All of my AppleTVs still list collections with the titles. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

I HATE this "feature."

• thegreatnorththegreatnorth Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Collections are still displaying when showing "all" on Apple TV even though they are disabled in Plex Library Settings. How do we remove collections?

• gavincalawaygavincalaway Members, Plex Pass Posts: 49 Plex Pass

@thegreatnorth said:
    Collections are still displaying when showing "all" on Apple TV even though they are disabled in Plex Library Settings. How do we remove collections?

Same question here, it is only showing up on the apple tv though. most annoying when trying to search. and if you have two versions of something (different qualities) in different libraries the search combines them all and then shows the screen that would usually be where you pick between the two quality folders, and all it shows is the name of the server in both locations so you have to guess.

• ry14ry14 Members Posts: 52 ✭✭

+1 a problem on apple tv for me too.

• jmiller1819jmiller1819 Members Posts: 1

I found this same issue today but was able to fix it by going into the Movies Menu, select Edit, Select Advanced, and then in the Collections dropdown menu, choosing Disabled. now when I show title by Title, the collections no longer appear.

I hope this helps someone else!

• thatmovieguythatmovieguy Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

@kevinbarre said:
    Thanks PLEX, for rolling out this "feature," and then hiding the settings for it deep in a place that no one ever looks. In the future, please don't randomly enable "new features" (that change the way everything looks) without so much as an email announcement. Better yet, how about you—I don't know—PUT SETTINGS IN THE ACTUAL SETTINGS MENU.

https://plex.tv/blog/beginning-look-lot-like-collections/

Thank you so much for this! I was so annoyed and couldn't find the damn setting anywhere.

• larsrjensenlarsrjensen Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited March 15

My bigger issue is that I would like to remove a collection (or tag?) if I no longer want it. But it seems that once you dared creating one you are stuck with it. I have one now that I created for testing purposes and it has 0 titles in it, yet still shows up (**see below). Awesome thinking that you cannot delete a collection - if you can, I don't see it in any obvious place.

** By showing up, I mean that it shows up when I choose to view collections, and this to me is a problem. It does not show up anylonger in the Movies list since I disabled it for the library (thanks @kevinbarre).

• FatalXceptionFatalXception Members Posts: 2

I had to disable it. I think it was getting collection tags from the movie database, and people are making/tagging collections with one movie, like kindergarten cop, so it would show up right next to the movie, as a collection with one movie. Very annoying.

• nookumnookum Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

@larsrjensen said:
    My bigger issue is that I would like to remove a collection (or tag?) if I no longer want it. But it seems that once you dared creating one you are stuck with it. I have one now that I created for testing purposes and it has 0 titles in it, yet still shows up (**see below). Awesome thinking that you cannot delete a collection - if you can, I don't see it in any obvious place.

** By showing up, I mean that it shows up when I choose to view collections, and this to me is a problem. It does not show up anylonger in the Movies list since I disabled it for the library (thanks @kevinbarre).

You can delete collections in the web interface. See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/308107/how-can-i-get-deleted-collections-to-not-show-in-the-plex-player-app#latest

• plex@miskatonic.ac.nzplex@miskatonic.ac.nz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@nookum said:

@larsrjensen said:

You can delete collections in the web interface. See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/308107/how-can-i-get-deleted-collections-to-not-show-in-the-plex-player-app#latest

That guide shows a "Delete" option at the bottom of the context menu for the collection, but when I bring up the menu for my empty collection, I see the usual "Shuffle", "Play Next", "Add to Queue" and "Add to Playlist", followed by "Sync". No "Delete".

I've also tried selecting a few collections that I want to delete, but I can't find any menu to act on them other than "Deselect All"...