Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox One UI Update - Major Issues

DeJiVuDeJiVu Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 2 in Xbox One

The most recent overhaul of the Xbox One UI has been annoying me for months with it simply not having nearly as much ease of use as the previous Plex UI. The UI looks a bit nicer, sure, but in terms of navigation and feature completion it doesn't feel worth it at all.

So here are the major things that are annoying me with this, making the update definitely feel like a huge downgrade overall:

• Difficult to switch between media types (Films/Shows/Photos/Videos)

The first time it took me ages to even figure out how to browse all my available TV shows. It still continues to be an awkward process switching between ones, especially since you can't switch from one view to the other, you first have to go back 'Home' in order to go to a new media type.

• Playlists are almost impossible to find

Hint: you have to select a media icon, but without 'clicking' it. Highlighting the media icon itself opens up a new view (which happens quite subtly as the screen refreshes in-place), and playlists are near the bottom of it, yet this isn't obvious at all, and is very counter-intuitive. If you try to use the app in the way that feels natural, you may simply never find the playlists.

• It is now impossible to watch a watched series/season from a particular episode

You cannot simply mark an entire season as un-watched any more. The episode view has been completely removed, leaving only the season view. And instead of the 'Mark as Watched' button affecting the entire season, it affects the currently highlighted episode, meaning I'd have to individually mark each episode as un-watched in order to re-watch an entire season with Plex keeping track of where I'm up to. This is insanely inconvenient for me.

What makes this even more annoying is that you also can't 'Play' the series from a particular episode any other way, you instead have to play each individual episode one by one. Since the season view only has per-episode controls ('Mark as Unwatched', 'Play', etc.), you can only play one episode, whichever one you have highlighted, and Plex doesn't play the next one after it's finished, which is very unimpressive compared to Plex on other platforms and previous versions. You also can't add episodes to any kind of now playing list unlike other versions of Plex, nor can you add it to any normal playlist, which is another thing I remember previously being able to do on the Xbox One app.

• It is now too easy to accidentally skip to half way through an episode because the joystick moved

So imagine I've finally gotten that mid-season trilogy in my favourite show to play, by individually marking each episode as un-watched and playing (since I can't just play from the first episode). I then relax and put the controller aside. But oh no, I accidentally wiggled the joystick a tad. No harm done right? No, it skipped to 10 minutes into the show for some reason. Now I have to figure out the exact gesture to get it to skip 10 minutes backwards, or something less convenient. It seems that the joysticks are dual-function. If you haven't pressed anything in a while and the UI focus is gone, then wiggling the joystick will totally mess up your progress in the episode. If you have just pressed something to make the UI appear, then moving the joystick left and right will only select the playback icons on the screen.

It would be much better if the joystick only selected the icons on the screen, thus making the easily to misfired joystick control non-destructive (basic UX stuff!), and making it easier to actually select those icons on the screen when you want to (I always find it an awkward process of tapping the A button until the UI appears so I know I won't do anything wrong with the joystick). It would make much more sense to seek using the joystick only when the user has pressed a button and then maybe highlighted a seek bar. As it is now, doing either action is both tedious to do on purpose and too easy to do accidentally, which is a bit of a hallmark of bad UX in my professional but in this particular case uninvolved opinion.

Comments

• DeJiVuDeJiVu Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also the poster tiles are way too big now. Not sure if this is due to the update or the new design just makes it feel different, but I like to be able to see as much of my library in one view as possible, it satisfies my obsessive need to look over my collection with pride. This is like a hallmark of having Plex, please let me enjoy it!

• zoxxozoxxo Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Voice interaction is completely gone. Having voice command in the previous version made my Kinect totally worth the price.

Moving through the UI is really clunky. If you're in one of the summary views, and you select a movie, when you back out of the movie, the focus always jumps back to the home button. This is different behavior from when you are in a library, and if you back out of a show/movie, you're still highlighting the selected movie.

Moving through the top menu between groups (movies, tv, pictures, etc.) is really slow because it has to redraw that group before it can move to the next group.

I also appear to have problems skipping forward and backward in a movie. Most times skipping backward hangs the movie, and I have to exit the movie to regain control.

I could go on, with many other examples...

The Plex XBox One app use to be the crown jewel of my XBox. It use to be the only reason for starting my XBox, with games as a secondary thought. Now I cringe when I feel like I want to watch a movie because the new app has taken so much joy out of my entertainment.

• Usry1984Usry1984 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please! For the love of god, fix the Plex UI on Xbox.

• Timbo SliceTimbo Slice Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone else getting the "buffering" overlay sticking around?

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,549Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@Timbo Slice said:
    Anyone else getting the "buffering" overlay sticking around?

You are likely in the Xbox Insider Beta Ring, an update was pushed to the Alpha ring the evening of 3/12. You have to check with Microsoft to see if their is information on when the next push to the Beta ring will be. There is a thread about it here.

• m0dcmm0dcm Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The issue is still there! Both my Xbox One and One S received the latest beta release early hours of this morning, and the overlay issues are still there. When will this issue be fixed? Or would it be better if I took the consoles out of the insider program altogether and manually rolled back the software as an offline update from the Microsoft website on a USB flash drive?

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,549Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@m0dcm said:
    The issue is still there! Both my Xbox One and One S received the latest beta release early hours of this morning, and the overlay issues are still there. When will this issue be fixed? Or would it be better if I took the consoles out of the insider program altogether and manually rolled back the software as an offline update from the Microsoft website on a USB flash drive?

It is my understanding that the Beta ring doesn't yet have the update where this is fixed. The Alpha ring got it the evening of 3/12, the Beta would not have gotten this update at the same time. The current Beta release notes still list it as a known issue.

• m0dcmm0dcm Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Cheers for the swift reply! I've had to explain to my girlfriend about beta, and alpha. Being an ex IT Support Technician and software developer, breaking it into plain English was easy... I just said remember when Windows 10 kept crashing lol!

We both run Linux and both our Plex servers run Linux to, makes a world of a difference to!

Dave