If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rasplex that doesn't cause transcoding?

jxb1234jxb1234 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 2 in Rasplex

I've installed rasplex on a spare Pi B+ and it can play some movies, but others are transcoded (Bluray rips to mkv).

Will a pi-3 be able to play all movies without causing the server to transcode?

Here is a movie that transcodes (copied from pms -> media info):

Media
Video Resolution 1080p
Duration 2:12:39
Bitrate 4856 kbps
Width 1920
Height 1088
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Video Profile high

Part
Duration 2:12:39
File American_Sniper.mkv
Size 4.50 GB
Container MKV
Video Profile high

Codec H264
Bitrate 4216 kbps
Language English
Anamorphic 0
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 1088
Level 5.0
Pixel Aspect Ratio 138:137
Profile high
Ref Frames 5
Scan Type progressive
Width 1920
Codec AC3
Channels 5.1
Bitrate 640 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Title Surround 5.1

Answers

• alan.shentonalan.shenton Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, assuming your settings are all correct (standard setup will do it) and there are no strange anomalies anywhere within your network. I have two 3’s and they’ll both do a HD Blu-ray with full DTS-HD Master Audio at the same time, streaming from a server salvaged from an old computer that was build in 2009!

• alan.shentonalan.shenton Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Additionally, most of my movies are quite large in file size, some being up to 20gb (LOTR trilogy - each film) with both DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD (disc dependant) and AC3 audio for compatibility. The Pi3 makes light work of them.

• Nibb31Nibb31 Posts: 1,128Members ✭✭✭

Rasplex hardly ever transcodes, except for H265/HEVC encoding. Whether it runs in a Pi B+ or a Pi3 shouldn't make any difference.

• jxb1234jxb1234 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Transcoding occurs on all of my 1080p mkv movies with width 1920 height 1088.