If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Browse by folder (Photos) disappeared

osbahrosbahr Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As others I've noticed with a degree of horror that the option to browse photos by folder/subfolder structure has gone. While I can see why this is of no concern to those who primarily take photos with their iphones and all photos are in the same folder/queue anyway, those of us who take loads of pictures with "old-school" cameras almost invariably have large folder hierarchies used to identify Pictures.

Can anyone help me understand first of all why an already existing feature was actively removed, second if there is any hope of getting it back?

Any information is greatly appreciated - I would very much prefer to stay with my plex installation as it fulfills all my other requirements, but as "browse by folder" is an absolute must for me, I need to understand if I should just be patient for a little while, or if I must start looking for alternatives.

I understand there are other threads on this topic, but to be honest the tone set there by some of the commenters did not leave much room for a sober discussion, so I chose to create a new one!

Best Answer

Answers

• citron2010citron2010 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 3

Please bring this back! I have 57,000 photos in ~1,500 folders & subfolders, and all I can do now is see them ALL in one flat list. I'm sure it used to just show the top level folders.

UPDATE - it's fixed in the latest update ("check for updates" wasn't working, so I did a manual update to the latest version) and got the nice top-level folder only view back - thanks!

• osbahrosbahr Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Photos have never really seemed to be a key feature for Plex, and the lack of response to the threads on this topic makes me think it’s best to consider alternatives.

For those in the same situation, I’ll share my current favorites:

1. Since all my photos reside on a windows server, using the FileBrowser app for AppleTV allows browsing the folder structure directly, viewing individual photos and making slideshows. Drawbacks: Doesn’t provide access to your photos remotely. Interface could be prettier,

2. Smugmug.com - it’s a paid service, but for only a few $ per month you get unlimited space, folder/sub folder structure (7 levels, but that’s enough for me), nice apps for your phone and appletv plus extensive access restriction mechanisms. Drawbacks: Requires duplicating you photo collection to their online service, however they do have a publishing plugin for Adobe Lightroom, so for me it will actually not add any extra workflow steps to do so.

Feel free to share any other viable photo alternatives you know of!

• GohtanGohtan Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,
    For my part, I really loved Plex browser and so I bought an "unlimited pass", not for watching my films everywhere but especially to show my photos to friends and family easily on my phone or my tab.
    Without this "Sort by folder" possibility I just lost the main interest in Plex so PLEAAAAAASE BRING IT BACK. Thanks.

That sounds awesome - would have been nice if someone had dropped a note that it was being reinstated, but communication is hard :)

Actually, I don't see a 1.11.0.4666 version - wonder if you are seeing a newer version because of your plex pass?

• electelectelectelect Posts: 12Members ✭✭

@osbahr said:
    That sounds awesome - would have been nice if someone had dropped a note that it was being reinstated, but communication is hard :)

Actually, I don't see a 1.11.0.4666 version - wonder if you are seeing a newer version because of your plex pass?

I think Gohtan is making a really bad joke...
    Can't find it either

The version Gothan is referring to is currently only available to plex pass holders, but it does bring back the ability to browse by folder/sub folder .

• GohtanGohtan Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,
    It is not a bad joke but electelect, Osbarhr is right when he says "only available to Plex pass".

First, I was looking for the last version without being logged with my Plex account and I didn't see the last version. So I "bad joked" myself ;-)

But be confident, the last version 1.11.0.4666 include "sort by folder" and you'll certainly have free access to it soon.
    Bye

• oroyeroroyer Posts: 65Members ✭✭

Oh Plex, what have you done again, why do you hate us so much?

15000 pictures now turned into an godawful mess :-(

• NickEnLindaNickEnLinda Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex Cloud still doesn't have folders for Photo's. Basically the only place where I really would like to have folders, doesn't support it, but all other categories do...

Hopefully Plex Cloud will be fixed just like the Server Software?

Why has the 1.11 server not been passed out to the free users yet??? I hate that the pictures are a mess! It's worthless! Ghaaaaa!
    Do I really net to buy Plex Pass for this? And what if they delete the folder view permanently for both plex pass and free users after that?
    The lack of comments on this issue from the plex crew is embarrassing!

• bengeorgebengeorge Posts: 28Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee

This question was marked as answered which is possibly why it has been missed. I'll get someone to respond!

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,227Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

You should be able to browse your photos as they appear on the filesystem by going to 'Photos' in the dropdown:

This isn't quite 'Browse by Folder' since PMS has analysed the structure/media here to give a richer experience with more metadata (so you get filters etc) - but it does reflect the filesystem so should be everything folder view is and more.

I see this available on my Plex Cloud and regular PMS, but let me know if you don't and I'll look into it some more.

@Dom C said:
    You should be able to browse your photos as they appear on the filesystem by going to 'Photos' in the dropdown:

No. This isn't working. It seems like plex shows all the folders it has found on one page sorted from 0-9 and a-z.
    It's a mess. Impossible to navigate.

Some says that it's been fixed in Plex Media Server 1.11 but I don't have plex pass so I'm at 1.10
    When are plex 1.11 released to non plex pass users?

This isn't quite 'Browse by Folder' since PMS has analysed the structure/media here to give a richer experience with more metadata (so you get filters etc) - but it does reflect the filesystem so should be everything folder view is and more.

I see this available on my Plex Cloud and regular PMS, but let me know if you don't and I'll look into it some more.

Thanks. That would be much appreciated!

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,227Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

No. This isn't working. It seems like plex shows all the folders it has found on one page sorted from 0-9 and a-z.

Interesting. Could you please send me a screenshot of the photos view and one of your filesystem? Feel free to direct message me if you'd rather.

@Dom C said:

Interesting. Could you please send me a screenshot of the photos view and one of your filesystem? Feel free to direct message me if you'd rather.

Sorry for the late reply!
    Yes! Absolutely! I will send it to you via PM soon... Stand by...

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Posts: 2,540Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@electelect

This is a known issue now and should be resolved in an upcoming media server release.