If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Screen Layout and Information on Android TV (Mi Box)

esugrueesugrue Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi
I was wondering if it was possible to get the screen on the Plex Player (Android TV) - latest version was Jan 3, to display media like the Server does.

If I click a TV Series on the Server, it shows me The series underneath as thumbs (also on the Player)

On the server though underneath it shows Cast Members, Related Shows and More From (eg: ITV) - none of this shows on the Plex Player screen.

SHould this be coming up, or do I need to change settings etc to make it happen,

Thanks
Ernie

Answers

• chenkschenks Posts: 921Members ✭✭✭

no this is not possible.

• delacosta78delacosta78 Posts: 131Members ✭✭

All Plex apps regardless of the device, should reflect the same layout and the same information we see on the web version, but I really doubt developers will do something to make it a reality...

why should they reflect teh web version?
    the web version is designed for browser use, clearly you can't just apply that to devices where a remote control is used.

• delacosta78delacosta78 Posts: 131Members ✭✭
    edited January 8

@chenks said:
    why should they reflect teh web version?
    the web version is designed for browser use, clearly you can't just apply that to devices where a remote control is used.

I'm talking about the information and the way it is displayed on the web version, I'm not saying they should implement the "web interface" itself, use your common sense, for example, the cast and crew still doesn't appear on any device interface, right?...

you said "reflect the same layout and the same information".
    i'm saying you can't just slap the same layout from the web version on to other devices, you have to create layouts that suit the device and the input method.

there is no "standard" plex identity across any of the access methods, so it should come as no surprise that some some methods have more (or less) than others.

• fuffenzfuffenz Posts: 5Members ✭✭

The Android app does have the option to change layout from "mobile" to "tv" and the "tv" version is quite similar to the web. But like so many other things in the Android app, it's partly broken. On some devices nothing happens if you try to switch layout, you get a question if you really want to switch. If you answer yes, the app restarts but is still in the mobile layout.

you can't do that on the Androd TV version.

• fuffenzfuffenz Posts: 5Members ✭✭

And why? Because the devs have simply decided that they won't let you do it, by deliberately hiding options for AndroidTV users. Running the same app on standard Android does give you the choice, the code and layout is already there.

why? clearly to specifically annoy you it seems, i can see no other valid reason for doing such a thing.