If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to get Alexa to tell Plex Player to play music

I've got my Echo Dot working with Plex, and I can ask it to start playback of video, and the video starts playing on my PC (or my Roku, YAY). But when I ask to start playing music, the audio always emanates from the Echo Dot itself. How can I get music to play through the currently selected Plex player app?

Here's a bit of a clue, but I don't know how to 'fix' such an issue. It seems as if Alexa's Plex skill being linked to my Plex server causes the Dot to assume I want to stream music from the server, rather than play music through the currently selected Plex player.

Answers

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,974Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Random guess - even though your Dot is linked to a specific player, have you tried telling it to play on the player when playing music? Like "Alexia, tell Plex to play -song- on -player name you linked to previously-"

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.11.0.4666
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • deandsmith@gmail.comdeandsmith@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

I havefree plex seever installed on my pc and am trying to get Alexa to okay my music. I run the skill and ask it to play, it says getting song, nothing happens.
    Can I not do this with free version or ama i doing something wrong?
    DSmith

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,974Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

DSmith, please don't hijack another persons thread. Your question is different then the original @thomasjkenney post because their setup is working, just not as they want.
    Please review the Plex kb articles regarding Alexa. If after following all the troubleshooting there your issue isn't resolved, then search the forum for the same question, if not found there, start a new topic in the Alexa thread as this original poster did.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.11.0.4666
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • thomasjkenneythomasjkenney Posts: 2Members

@JamminR said:
    Random guess - even though your Dot is linked to a specific player, have you tried telling it to play on the player when playing music? Like "Alexia, tell Plex to play -song- on -player name you linked to previously-"

Yes...still no luck.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,407Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

That should work. What are the exact words you are using. The echo devices cannot be given player names so the only way to do local playback is to just default playing music on the device. For video, it will go to the default video player. If you want music to go tot hat same video player you need to tell it ti play music to that player.

"Alexa, tell Plex to play the movie Terminator on Shield TV"

• AnayaDicAnayaDic Posts: 3Members

Alexa provides a variety of hands-free ways to control your Plex Media Server and play with just your voice once you’ve installed the Plex Media Server, you can start playing your favorite movies, music, and TV shows on your devices, all by voice. To use a Plex app with Alexa, that app must first:
    • First, you can Sign in to Your Plex Account to your Plex account
    • Be running and active on the device
    For Get Alexa to tell Plex Player to play music, you can say to Alexa play music

• Ask Plex to play my music player.