If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Really need help. Plex wont play HEVC h.265 .mkv remux files from my pc to plex app via roku stick+?

dev23007dev23007 Posts: 15Members ✭✭

Really need help. Plex wont play HEVC h.265 .mkv remux files from my pc to plex app via roku stick+? When I try to play the file on my LG oled tv in another room on Roku stick+ plex app, it says video is unavailable, please check server. File is there, plays on my pc??? What am I doing wrong, is this not supported yet?

Answers

• monoxddmonoxdd Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭

same question but with HEVC 1080p like this:

with .str files and vobsub

• dev23007dev23007 Posts: 15Members ✭✭

Can you explain a little how I would do that? Are you saying I need to convert the existing 4K hevc MKV file in some way for Plex and Roku to recognize it?

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 2,222Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For h265 you must have the media in a mp4 container.
    On the Roku, Audio should be AC3

ok makes sense, so if if I convert .mkv to mp4 it should fix my issue. Any tool you recommend? And thanks in advance!

Most folks here recommend Handbrake.
    I use DVDFab.

so is their a way with handbrake or dvd fab to keep the 4k video file and not downconvert to 1080p 30fps? also what about HDR. HEVC .mkv files usually looked washed out on my pc without using mpchc +madvr, how does plex handle that with the mp4 file?

edited January 6

4K will work fine if you encode
    mp4 / h265 / ac3
    for lower resolutions
    mp4 / h264 / ac3 or acc
    Do not know about handbrake but DVDFab does for sure

Thanks guys so much I am almost there! I used DVD FAB, and converted to mp4 h265, but I used the 7.1 dts hd master audio instead of ac3, and selected embedded vobsub. When I went to play the file via plex/Roku + it played, but the colors were washed out and subs were mandatory. So I went to Roku turned off all subs and magically hdr kicked in on the tv and sound works. OMG 4k HDR color is amazing!!!!!!!! Watching xmen days of future past!! However, now I have constant frame lag?? What would cause this, the audio track not being ace3? no subs, refresh rate? Not really sure I can re convert it again, I was hoping to be able to keep both audio tracks in case I wanted to play 7.1 sound or just regular ac3 depending on the tv in the house. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!

edited January 7

also, its crazy how disabling the subtitles on the file would make the tv/Roku all of a sudden recognize its an hdr file and not just 4k, really don't understand that. This may also be a dumb question but should I be selecting 24 frame rate for these movies or 60 when I convert? Maybe that's why I am having the lag an need to tell the tv 24 or something?

anybody know the answer to this? Thanks in advance.

• winspiritwinspirit Posts: 24Members ✭✭

What is surprising me, According to jjrjr1, AAC doesn't work with HEVC (h265) codec in a MP4 container. I will test it, but if it's true, it`s not a fact: It's a bug!! AAC encoding is more commonly used than the Dolby AC3 format. More quality for less bandwidth, really. So, with Handbrake, you can duplicate the audio track in another format in the same container: AAC for use with Samsung plex apps, and AC3 for Roku.

AAC does work if the client device supports it.
    However, I was told by a dev one time that 5.1 ACC is not spec'ed for HEVC causing transcoding. And if Audio transcodes in HEVC the video does as well. I did understand Plex was suppose to fix that but i have no clue.

I experienced this 1st hand with Roku 4 and ran several tests.
    On the Roku 4 (and was told other boxes work this way) h265 with ACC 5.1 would not direct play due to this. The only format that would direct play was h265 / AC3 5.1 /mp4..
    Never tried it with ACC 2 channel. I suspect that is not a problem.

That's all I know

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 2,105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@winspirit said:
    What is surprising me, According to jjrjr1, AAC doesn't work with HEVC (h265) codec in a MP4 container. I will test it, but if it's true, it`s not a fact: It's a bug!! AAC encoding is more commonly used than the Dolby AC3 format. More quality for less bandwidth, really. So, with Handbrake, you can duplicate the audio track in another format in the same container: AAC for use with Samsung plex apps, and AC3 for Roku.

AAC 2.0 is very common, but as far as I know aac5.1 is only used by torrenters. Never heard of it used on a Blu-ray or DVD or OTA stream... makes me think it's probably not an official, well supported format.

So the problem I am having now Is I convert it to mp4, I output with multiple audiot tracks one of them being the ac3 5.1, no subititles, but my tv does not switch to hdr from the hevc 10 bit file? Any idea, I checked and it is direct playing in Roku/plex I get sound, but hdr just will not pickup?

• DFuryDFury Posts: 261Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 8

I'm not aware of any encoding programs (including handbrake) that will maintain the HDR data through a transcode/compression. Furthermore, the "pipeline" that Handbrake utilizes is only 8-bit. Anything beyond that gets stripped-out. These are issues that cause "washed-out" colors on a file that has been compressed from an HDR-original file. The ability to encode a file that goes HDR->HDR or even HDR->SDR simply doesn't exist yet (as far as I know). Remux'ing or audio-only transcoding are the only options.

edited January 8

wow thanks dfury, that's good to know, so basically if I have a bunch of HDR 10 bit .mkv files I can only watch those on my main pc via MPCHC+madvr. Otherwise over plex/Roku I am going to be getting a washed out file. Bummer, I don't have the storage space to keep two of the same file. Sounds like I need to pick one or the other, 1 movie file in 4k that I can play on my main tv/pc hdr enabled, or a 1080p movie files h.264 so I can play on plex throughout the house and on my main tv/pc. ;(

edited January 8

I don't have any HDR-capable TVs yet, so I haven't been able to experiment much with Plex/Roku/HDR. I do have a couple of Roku Stick +'s, though...and have been able to direct stream 10-bit HDR material with the audio being transcoded. Assuming your OLED is HDR-capable, you should be able to get it to play. The Stick + is HDR10 capable, from my understanding. What you are doing should work (I think). I'd recommend concentrating on why the direct-streaming isn't working. As I noted before...trying to transcode your HDR files into something more compatible just isn't really in the cards yet.

I would say make sure that you have the "local quality" in the plex app set to "original". Anything else will trigger transcoding.

edited January 8

well the mp4 hevc 10 bit file does play, when I set it to original, and the audio works, unfortunately the LG Oled tv doesn't switch to HDR, or recognize that it is an hdr file? For example, the file starts out as a 10 bit hevc remux file with dts hd, ac5.1 subtitles etc. Then I am usind dvd fab to convert it to an mp4. DVD fab has an option to convert to mp4 hevc 10 bit file and you just choose your audio and subtitles. This plays when I convert it, but colors are washed out on plex and HDR on TV never gets picked up. The file has it in there but the tv doesn't switch. Does that make any sense? I should also add that plex tries to transcode it at first, in 1080p but I then set it to original quality, and it says direct stream, but still no HDR. Crazy difficult!

I am about to throw in the towel on this one lol. Just cant seem to convert a file to mp4 that will not auto direct stream and kick on the HDR on the the OLED TV, not entirely sure what I should be selecting.

Hmmm...yeah, I wish I could do some experimentation to help figure it out, but I unfortunately don't have an HDR setup yet (saving for my own LG OLED :-)). Just to knock out the easy steps...can you confirm that the Roku Stick's display type is set to HDR?

If you are willing to make another investment...the ShieldTV seems to be the 4K HDR client of choice right now.