If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is an Intel NUC with 7th Gen Core (i5-7300U Prozessor) ready for 2160p / 4K

eizdielereizdieler Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 6 in Plex Media Player

Hey guys,
my 5th gen Intel NUC isnt able to play 4k content to mny Sony Bravia X9005C. I love the NUC because its so tiny, power efficient (only 15Watts) and silent.

Thas why im looking for a new NUC.

So... Does anyone alredy have experience with the new 7th gen core intel NUC products? I want to choose the i5-Version like this:
https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i5dnke.html

Does 4k Content (x264 and x265) plays smooth without framedrops?

-= plex senior =-

Best Answers

Answers

• millercentralmillercentral Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, but last I heard, it has issues bitstreaming HD Audio in Linux/Embedded plex (Win10 is okay). There was rumors of a fix, but I don't know if it was ever implemented.

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 2,247Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 7

For embedded PMP:
    The HD audio passthrough fix will come with a rebase—when LE9 final is released. However the Kaby Lake’s iGPU’s OpenGL rendering performance is lackluster. I have been debugging this issue for several months now. Its either lack of optimization for Kaby Lake’s iGPU by Mesa; or mpv needs some development for Kaby Lake’s iGPU.

@eizdieler If your intent is to play 4K UHD BD remuxes, your better choices at the moment are the AppleTV 4K or the nVidia SHIELD TV. These both can decode and output 4K HEVC HDR10 to your 4K TV.

• eizdielereizdieler Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Achilles said:
    @eizdieler If your intent is to play 4K UHD BD remuxes, your better choices at the moment are the AppleTV 4K or the nVidia SHIELD TV. These both can decode and output 4K HEVC HDR10 to your 4K TV.

@Achilles ive read about apple tv 4 doesnt support 7.1 channel audio?
    im using the NUC as PMS & PMP. And yes i want "direct play" to my sony bravia UHD-TV.
    BTW the sony android tv pmp-app also supports 4K video, but when watch movies with it (h265) i imagine a lot of framedrops and stuttering. dont know why. the netflix app with 4k content works flawless. anyways.

So guys thanks to all, lemme try this **** ;) i will by the latest kaby lake NUC system and set it up

-= plex senior =-

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 789Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 7

I have a server with an I7 kaby
    I don't generally use it for PMP as I have an HTPC ryzen but with a with GTX 960 (i think) attached. Both do a stellar job with all these HDR 4K remuxes that are appearing.

Edit. When you get set up don't forget to enable HW decoding in PMP.

HitsVille

• bryanandersonbryananderson Posts: 150Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@eizdieler said:
    BTW the sony android tv pmp-app also supports 4K video, but when watch movies with it (h265) i imagine a lot of framedrops and stuttering. dont know why. the netflix app with 4k content works flawless. anyways.

So guys thanks to all, lemme try this **** ;) i will by the latest kaby lake NUC system and set it up

FYI, I just bought a Sony X800E and the Android Plex client on that plays back UHD rips perfectly. Mine is connected to gigabit Ethernet. Initially got a lot of frame drops and stuttering too, but quickly realized my Plex settings were forcing the server to transcode video stream. After fixing my settings everything played back perfectly.

@bryananderson said:

@eizdieler said:

FYI, I just bought a Sony X800E and the Android Plex client on that plays back UHD rips perfectly. Mine is connected to gigabit Ethernet. Initially got a lot of frame drops and stuttering too, but quickly realized my Plex settings were forcing the server to transcode video stream. After fixing my settings everything played back perfectly.

naaa. my current PMS isnt able to transcode UHD streams (an older Intel NUC with i5) so its definitly directplay. maybe the TV decodechip is a little to slow (X9005C). i also imagine these effects while plying some uhd youtube videos but never with netflixx.

my tv is also connected via gigabit. a logfile on the tv would be great ;) does the pms maybe have a log with detailed stream errors?

-= plex senior =-

edited January 7

@eizdieler said:

@bryananderson said:

@eizdieler said:

naaa. my current PMS isnt able to transcode UHD streams (an older Intel NUC with i5) so its definitly directplay. maybe the TV decodechip is a little to slow (X9005C). i also imagine these effects while plying some uhd youtube videos but never with netflixx.

my tv is also connected via gigabit. a logfile on the tv would be great ;) does the pms maybe have a log with detailed stream errors?

@eizdieler Do you want to view it in true HDR? PMP is not capable of this currently on any hardware. It will HW decode and tone-map to SDR before output to the display.

@eizdieler Do you want to view it in true HDR? PMP is not capable of this currently on any hardware. It will HW decode and tone-map to SDR before output to the display.

nono. just usual h265 oder h264 rips.

-= plex senior =-

edited January 7

Sony X9005c = MediaTek MT5890
    Sony X800e = MediaTek MT5891

So that might explain the difference...

@Achilles said:

Are you talking about embedded PMP only? When using the Android TV client it seems to play HDR w/o transcoding.

Also, I have played with many, many clients (including a current gen Apollo Lake NUC). I can't recommend the Nvidia Shield enough as a client. Plays everything, lightning fast, it is like, wow!

As far as NUCs are concerned, the roadmap indicates some significant updates later in 2018 (Coffee Lake Quad core CPUs, improved graphics, etc). I would hate to buy one right now, but if you need something now here's a review of a NUC-like box from my favorite Plex advocate:

edited January 7

@bryananderson said:

@Achilles said:

Are you talking about embedded PMP only? When using the Android TV client it seems to play HDR w/o transcoding.

I am talking about Plex Media Player on Embedded LE, macOS, Linux and Windows. It does not output HDR. The backend is mpv and it currently tone-maps HDR to SDR.

Also, I have played with many, many clients (including a current gen Apollo Lake NUC). I can't recommend the Nvidia Shield enough as a client. Plays everything, lightning fast, it is like, wow!

Hence it was one of the recommendations to the OP for playback. He does not seem to be to concerned about watching HDR content.

Me personally, I cannot recommend the Apple TV. I bought 2 when the fourth GEN came out, and there have been a lot of Plex playback issues. Have not tried the 4K, but probably won’t since the Plex playback issues are fundamental to the embedded Apple player. That and the fact that Apple does not support DTS.

edited January 7

@bryananderson said:
    Me personally, I cannot recommend the Apple TV. I bought 2 when the fourth GEN came out, and there have been a lot of Plex playback issues. Have not tried the 4K, but probably won’t since the Plex playback issues are fundamental to the embedded Apple player. That and the fact that Apple does not support DTS.

Infuse Pro on AppleTV 4K is what I use to play my 4K HEVC HDR10 content. Infuse is a full fledged 3rd party player by FireCore with fully licensed decoders for all video and audio codecs. Works perfectly fine. Supposed Plex client integration coming with v5.7 soon.

Yeah, was recently reading that in the Apple TV forum. Will be checking that out, thx

@bryananderson said:

As far as NUCs are concerned, the roadmap indicates some significant updates later in 2018 (Coffee Lake Quad core CPUs, improved graphics, etc). I would hate to buy one right now, but if you need something now here's a review of a NUC-like box from my favorite Plex advocate:

mhh dont understand. you cannote compare apollo lake with a kaby lake plattform? its intel atom cpu vs. core i5 with hardware based 4k decoding features?

-= plex senior =-

Sorry about not being clear, I meant there are some big upgrades in the pipeline for the Core-series NUCs (Bean Canyon/Coffee Lake-U) in 2018. They are moving from dual core to quad core CPUs:

http://nucblog.net/2017/09/2018-intel-nuc-models/
    https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-u-15w-specs-performance-details/

hey guys. quick update. got my new NUC and installed PMS / PMP on windows 10. 4K movies are played absolutly smooth with no framedrops or stuttering. awesome ;) i love kaby lake

-= plex senior =-

• Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 2,050Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Direct Play I assume? Both h264 and h265?