Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Issues streaming from Plex on FreeNAS Server

MrRogersM2MrRogersM2 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Hello all,
I've been having issues getting movies to stream on multiple platforms (Chrome web browser, Roku). I have tried using both original and transcoded streams and both get stuck on infinite loading times. I was able to play the movie directly over a CIFS share, so I don't think the network or the drive speed is the issue. However, I have a hard time believing my NAS's hardware is to blame as it has a Ryzen 1600x (Passmark score of 13k+) and 8GB of DDR4. I've looked up a couple of posts with people having similar issues, but I haven't been able to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've attached the verbose logs.

Best Answers

• TurboJailerTurboJailer Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Have you actually been able to get FreeNAS to run stable on Ryzen? You would be the first if so and I'd love to see what your hardware is. 8GB is a bit slim to be running FreeNAS and Plex.

What is your network setup? How are you connected to your FreeNAS? Does the web client work correctly?

• MrRogersM2MrRogersM2 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

In case anyone ever runs across this post, I have solved the issue. I installed another 8GB of ram and my issues disappeared. Thank you to TurboJailer for the suggestion.

Answers

Accepted Answer

Have you actually been able to get FreeNAS to run stable on Ryzen? You would be the first if so and I'd love to see what your hardware is. 8GB is a bit slim to be running FreeNAS and Plex.

What is your network setup? How are you connected to your FreeNAS? Does the web client work correctly?

Yes FreeNAS works perfectly, I have been able to run and tweak it without any issues from it's web client. Same for Plex, I've been able to upload and view photos. My only issue has been streaming video.

Update: Streaming to mobile works perfectly. I'm really puzzled.

Accepted Answer

In case anyone ever runs across this post, I have solved the issue. I installed another 8GB of ram and my issues disappeared. Thank you to TurboJailer for the suggestion.

Glad you got it figured out.

• OPNsenseiOPNsensei Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Don't want to mess anyone's setup/ thoughts, but FreeNAS + Plex plugin (+ Transmission etc) on a Core 2 Duo 1800, 4 GB DDR2 (I know-I know!!! Don't shoot, just meant to test everything, serious upgrade - Ryzen 1700 + 16GB RAM - on the way. And "Autotune" in Freenas does the trick, so no overall issues since beginning of December) and no streaming issues with movies up to FHD (1080p) on ChromeCast 2 - since it requires only streaming, no transcoding.
    Any transcoding will knee down the HW (of course), even for just burning subtitles in the stream.

Otherwise, no problems over LAN or over internet (requests from workplace) as long as the connection's bandwidth is enough.

Still, I noticed, every time I play a movie, even if it's native resolution is less or equal to 1080p, I have buffering issues if I don't get in play options (iOS app) and change from (and here's the interesting part) "Convert to 1080p HD (High) 20 Mbps" to "Play Original Quality 20 Mbps 1080p HD"

Basically, I don't know why, by default it tries to transcode from -> to the same resolution and quality.

Maybe this is why you, @MrRogersM2 (or anyone else, for that matter), had problems that solved when you increased the RAM, since that "Convert (transcode) to..." got a RAM bottleneck - I would have got a RAM and CPU and everything bottelneck. Wouldn't occur if the system would play original by default, since I can play anything with so low HW specs, as long as playing means streaming, not transcoding.

Don't use autotune. Disable it and get rid of all the tunables that it provided.

Tried it!... I constantly run out of free RAM when "autotune" is disabled. Enabled, and it keeps 0.5 - 1 GB of free RAM more than 90% of the time. Every once in a while, 2 - 3 days, free RAM gets bellow 500 MB, but shortly.

I have seen that, with "autotune", maximum ARC size is 1 GB, without "autotune" it takes a lot more, 2+ GB, and the system runs out of it, crashing/ rebooting/ freezing etc. The "autotune" startup script is, at least for me, very well written.

I am amazed that there are already 2 months of FreeNAS on such a below minimum requirements HW, and it keeps running and kicking! Honestly, I never hoped to get past a week, giving all the directions, best practices, minimum HW requirements, discussions etc etc etc.

But I don't want to further go a bit off-topic here, so I conclude that maybe Plex server on FreeBSD/ FreeNAS is gulping power for nothing, and maybe it's a bug that by default it converts the video, even if from and to the same resolution/ format/ bitrate etc. On powerful systems it's not quite noticeable if you don't get aware of this and watch-out for this particular behavior, but on my system, being mandatory to optimize and fine-tune anything and everything, it struck me when I stumbled upon it, as in "why it keeps buffering since streaming only shouldn't be a problem since I play the same files on the laptop, in VLC, without a glitch?!?! :/ "

@OPNsensei said:
    I am amazed that there are already 2 months of FreeNAS on such a below minimum requirements HW, and it keeps running and kicking!

But it's not. You yourself stated that it wouldn't run without the autotune. And just because it's working now doesn't mean it's going to continue to do so because trust me it won't. Your points are completely invalidated by your grossly under specced FreeNAS server. If you had built it with proper hardware that meets the minimum specs for FreeNAS you wouldn't be running into these issues.

I'm not trying to beat you up here but your use case can not be compared at all to the OP's.

My point exactly: I wouldn't have given a single bit of chance to my HW setup to run FreeNAS with or without autotune for more than a week! As I have said, I installed FreeNAS on it just to test it, to get a taste of what is FreeNAS like.

I am amazed how autotune (which, by the way, I have enabled following several "best-practice" recommendations found on different sites/ blogs/ vlogs/ forums) kept the system alive. I get up to ~65 MB/s data writes (big single file), iperf3 reached 870 mb/s... Not bad for FreeNAS, for what's capable of on a 15 years old HW.

I hope you don't have any important data on that box........

edited January 27

Don't worry, as I said, and have been honest, testing purposes, only multimedia files. Transmission and Plex as plugins. 4 spare/ old HDDs of 500 each, in a RAID-Z vdev, so resulting a zvol of 1,3 TB usable data space - should I have been bought a 2 TB external HDD my data, important or not, would have been safer.

Practically, the real test now is to see how many more days my HTPC + NAS system based on FreeNAS is able to still work.

Of course I'm not suggesting, nor encouraging anyone to go bellow the minimum required specs, even if no critical/ important data is hosted in such a system, I repeat myself: had that HW laying around with already 2 X 500 HDDs in it, found another 2 of them (by the way, out of those 4 disks, one is IDE... speechless when got ~65 MB/s write speed) and on I go with playing - better said, fooling around.

edited January 27

And yet again: I only wonder why Plex App (iOS) is by default trying to convert instead of direct play/ stream, since changing to "Play Original Quality" works very fine, and no buffering issues on almost every file?!?!