If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

rename LG TV

setting up plex on both my lg tvs - when linking both devices are named Plex for LG TV - how can i update the name to tell them apart ?

Tagged:

Answers

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 1,757Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

in the Plex app on those TVs you can change the name the settings menu. usually you reach the menu by navigating to the most left item and click left once more. on my Sony, the name is in the first line of settings.

• SteevO_TabascoSteevO_Tabasco Posts: 3Members

yeah i can change the name of the TV in the tv settings (they have different model descriptions) but when added to plex dashboard they are still both displayed as "plex for LG TV"

that's not the TV's name but the client (as in "playback by a Plex for LG TV").

• SteevO_TabascoSteevO_Tabasco Posts: 3Members

thanks for the clarification - anyway to change client name ??

• SE56SE56 Posts: 2,185Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 9

I don't know of a way to Change the Client description. I would suggest that is in TV Client software. What you can do is check in Devices in PMS settings, it's updates every time you login to your TV client

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

Client names are set on within the client (see the 1st response...).
    goto Plex on your LG TV and check if there's something in the app settings/options -- I've been googling for some time bug couldn't find a video/screenshot about it to share.

• SE56SE56 Posts: 2,185Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 9

The LG TV Plex Client has no facility to name or rename each LG client on a given Network. That would have to be Client developers that added such identifiers other than what I have shown above. Your Router would have identifiers in IP addresses and Mac addresses but not at Plex media server. Devices menu, only show Client for LG ,Version, time since last login. There are apps that will identify all on the LAN network with addresses and you can tag those names of devices/client description.
    If your trying to have multiple User or Parental controls with different Plex client devices then "Pass Subscription" is required. Then a User would have to login with a code rather than Auto Login.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.