If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Access to new plex app outside of roku app store

cohairecohaire Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello Plex Dev Team,

I fully appreciate and love the amazing interface that you guys have designed with Plex on the Roku.

In Australia we have Telstra TV powered by Roku, much like the NOWtv in the UK. Unfortunately we have a locked down app store and your new Plex app is not available. Currently thousands of us are stranded running "Plex Classic 3.1.9" or lower.

If the Plex pass customers could get a ZIP copy of the app to be uploaded using developer mode this would save us a great deal of heart ache.

Any assistance is appreciated. I'm happy to assist in any Beta testing as a way to formalise the process.

Regards,
Chris

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,884Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 8

Plex has stated that the new app is considered to be proprietary and, therefore, there will not be any ZIP or other version that exposes the code for others to see made available. While this does mean that people that cannot install from the Channel Store are pretty much SOL is is highly doubtful that Plex will do anything that will reverse that position. It is their code to do with as they please.

BTW: You can also run RARflix as its code is available in ZIP format.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• cohairecohaire Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Cheers for the response. I have heard of RARflix but hadn't tried it. I didn't realise it was a Plex app.

... I've just loaded it up now. Much better than classic, but still not as lovely at the latest Plex app for roku.

Thanks for the assistance. If anyone has other options I'm happy to hear them.

Regards,
    Chris

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,884Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@cohaire said:
    Cheers for the response. I have heard of RARflix but hadn't tried it. I didn't realise it was a Plex app.

... I've just loaded it up now. Much better than classic, but still not as lovely at the latest Plex app for roku.

Thanks for the assistance. If anyone has other options I'm happy to hear them.

Regards,
    Chris

You should be aware that RARflix, just like Plex classic, will stop working in the not too distant future (within the next year or so) when Roku removed support for their old programming interface and also like Plex classic RARflix is no longer being supported. RARflix's developer has been hired by Plex and it seems that part of his employment conditions is that he no longer produce apps that compete with Plex's apps.

I do not know what Plex will do at that point but I guess that they will just allow the users that need side loading to loose access to Plex through their non-Roku Roku.

My suggestion is to start looking now for a replacement client. I have a Fire TV, a Shield TV and a Raspberry PI (Running PMP) as well as my Rokus and, for me, they all work OK. Just for Plex the Raspberry PI is my favorite as the Fire and Shield both have the standard Android interface that I find clumsy and non-intuitive to use but they do work well.

There are other alternatives as well like the ATV and others but I do not own anything else.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov