Silence when Alexa plays music from my plex server
I have the following setup
- Home router with UPnP enabled.
- Segate Personal Cloud NAS with music and Plex server installed connected to the router via ethernet
- WiFi iPad also connected to the same network
- Android phone which can connect to the same WiFi
- Amazon echo dot also connected to the same WiFi
Original I did not have remote access enabled, but the iPad and phone worked with my plex server with no issue over WiFi.
Installed the skill on the Alexa dot which failed to work as the remote access was disabled. So I enabled remote access.
Now I have the following situation
- The WiFi iPad works as before on the internal network
- My phone works on both internal and via the mobile data - so I know that the remote access and connection through the router is working
- Alexa correctly identifies that catalogue of music on my plex server, and gets as far as saying that it's shuffling tracks - and then silence.
I have ruled out DRM as I get the same issue with tracks that I ripped from a CD that have no DRM.
The only think I can think of is an issue with both the Alexa and the Plex server being on the same network, but access is remote, that there is a streaming issue.
If that is the case how can I inform the Alexa plex skill that my plex server is on the same WiFi network? If it isn't then what else is causing the silence on playing?
Kind regards, Ian