If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Cannot direct play 4k on Sony Bravia

ZeroT2000ZeroT2000 Posts: 3Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a 2017 Sony Bravia KD65XE8596, it can play pretty much anything so can direct play everything on my PMS, however I'm having an issue with 4k playback.

File: Elysium sample from the 4ksamples website.
PMS: v1.11.0.4666
TV App: 6.11.3.3147

So the TV is directly playing all other (non 4k) files just fine, but 4k files I get the Plex Error "Playback had stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please endsure the server is available and retry." The server is of course connected, by wire as is the TV (no wi-fi). This error only occurs on the TV, if I try playing it on a PC or Firestick TV then it at least tries to play but transcoding fails (expected as the CPU isnt good enough, thats fine). The same 4k file on a USB stick plugged directly into the TV also plays back perfectly so the file is ok too and the TV has no issue playing it.

Any ideas, I feel like this is an Android App issue rather than PMS.

Answers

• 5stringdeath5stringdeath Ninja Posts: 1,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I have similar experiences.

Running PMS on a 2.6GHz i7 MacMini

Clients include: 2xRoku, ATV, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6 (x2), TiVO Bolt, PS4, Sony Android TV, PlexWeb in Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick & Secrets