Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on Pi - Adding Media

I've just set-up the latest version of Raspbian on my Pi, and followed this guide to install Plex Media Server.

https://thepi.io/how-to-set-up-a-raspberry-pi-plex-server/

I have connected an external HDD (AC powered) to the Pi, which has the name Silver. I've created one folder on this drive called TV.

When I connect the drive, it is shown at /media/pi/Silver

In PMS, the folder Silver shows up on the left hand side of the pane when I'm trying to add folders. However when I click on it, nothing happens and I can't see the TV folder.

My understanding is that I need to mount the drive, and possibly change some permissions? Does anyone have a link to a guide that I could follow?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

@creative-2008@hotmail.co.uk said:
    I've just set-up the latest version of Raspbian on my Pi, and followed this guide to install Plex Media Server.

Why is everybody using this broken guide and not just my "official" instructions? :D SEO still appears to be a thing :neutral:

My understanding is that I need to mount the drive, and possibly change some permissions? Does anyone have a link to a guide that I could follow?

You might want to take a look at the official Plex guide here in the forum [1].

[1] http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279063/using-ext-or-ntfs-drives-internal-or-external-on-linux

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 22,850 Plex Team Member
    edited January 9 Accepted Answer

Anthony.

See the permissions on Silver ?

That's what's holding you back. Only user root has permission (After the d, the next 3 are for the owner, the next 3 are for the group, and the last 3 are for everyone else.) Since they're - (no permissions), nobody but root can get access.

That said

sudo find /disks/Silver -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \; - this does the directories (rxwr-xr-x)
    sudo find /disks/Silver -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; - this does the files (rw-r--r--)

Edit: You probably got excited about being so close and forgot that one step ? :)

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 22,850 Plex Team Member
    Accepted Answer

Hi ChuckPA,

Thanks very much for this. As soon as I read those lines I realised that, yes, I'd got a bit excited and skipped them.

Just ran them both now. (Thanks for the comments explaining them.) The command for the folders produced no output, and afterwards Plex is able to see all of the folders on the drive that previously it wasn't able to.

However, the files command (which I've ran twice to be sure) produced a load of operation not supported messages for every file on the drive.

If it's helpful to know, I believe that I formatted the drive in NTFS using Ubuntu, and then created the directories and copied files into them using Windows 10.

I've had a fair Google of it, but the vast majority of the forum posts are from pre-2010 and talk about NTFS not really being supported on Linux, so I'm not too sure whether they still apply or not.

NTFS drives do not support setting permissions. ALSO, if you forgot the sudo (when run from your terminal environment) you will get the same error messages.

NTFS permission mechanisms are ACL based. The Linux default is UID/GID. Adding ACLs is available in the newer BTRFS filesystem or as an artificial layer (similar to Synology's method).

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Answers

• uglymagoouglymagoo Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,083 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

Why is everybody using this broken guide and not just my "official" instructions? :D SEO still appears to be a thing :neutral:

You might want to take a look at the official Plex guide here in the forum [1].

[1] http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279063/using-ext-or-ntfs-drives-internal-or-external-on-linux

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

edited January 9 Accepted Answer

Anthony.

See the permissions on Silver ?

That's what's holding you back. Only user root has permission (After the d, the next 3 are for the owner, the next 3 are for the group, and the last 3 are for everyone else.) Since they're - (no permissions), nobody but root can get access.

That said

sudo find /disks/Silver -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \; - this does the directories (rxwr-xr-x)
    sudo find /disks/Silver -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; - this does the files (rw-r--r--)

Edit: You probably got excited about being so close and forgot that one step ? :)

Useful links

• Hi ChuckPA,

Thanks very much for this. As soon as I read those lines I realised that, yes, I'd got a bit excited and skipped them.

Just ran them both now. (Thanks for the comments explaining them.) The command for the folders produced no output, and afterwards Plex is able to see all of the folders on the drive that previously it wasn't able to.

However, the files command (which I've ran twice to be sure) produced a load of operation not supported messages for every file on the drive.

If it's helpful to know, I believe that I formatted the drive in NTFS using Ubuntu, and then created the directories and copied files into them using Windows 10.

I've had a fair Google of it, but the vast majority of the forum posts are from pre-2010 and talk about NTFS not really being supported on Linux, so I'm not too sure whether they still apply or not.

• Since I posted before,

I have tried creating a new folder in the root of the drive named 'Silver' using VNC whilst logged in as the user Pi and I get a permissions error and the folder can't be created.

Then, I read another post (a few years old) that said the default NTFS driver supported read only, so I ran hte first line of this set of code, but it hasn't made any difference...

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
    sudo mkdir /mnt/usbdrive
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdrive

Accepted Answer

Hi ChuckPA,

NTFS drives do not support setting permissions. ALSO, if you forgot the sudo (when run from your terminal environment) you will get the same error messages.

NTFS permission mechanisms are ACL based. The Linux default is UID/GID. Adding ACLs is available in the newer BTRFS filesystem or as an artificial layer (similar to Synology's method).

Useful links

• Thanks again for your replies. I edited fstab to change ntfs to ntfs-3g and that has solved all of my problems.

Depending on whether I anticipate connecting the HDD to a Windows machine again in the future I might reformat as a format that supports GID.

For the meantime, I've set up a Samba share, so that I can write data to the external HDD (albeit at around 3-4MB/s). That's something I'll worry about further down the line though.

Also, I'll start looking into how to get the drive to sleep when not in use, because it can be a little noisy when the TV is off. Many thanks for your help.

To help others, would you mind clicking "Yes" on those posts which were of most help to you?

Useful links