If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K on Fire TV

Hi,

I am having a 4K able fire tv and a 4K projector.

When I open 4K mkv files with plex on fire tv it says the file is 4K but when I look at the projector Information I see it only gets played in 1080p.

I set plex server and media player to play files in original quality.

What am I doing wrong?

Answers

• JaydeBarnesJaydeBarnes Posts: 1Members

Nothing!

I have a 4K TV connected by a 4K FireTV and have 4K content (x264) that always defaults to 1080p.
    My understanding is that Plex are yet to allow resolution switching to 4K as of yet.

It's a shame, because KODI supports 4K and running the Plex App through Kodi allows for 4K playback perfectly, although in my case does Transcode. I'm guessing limitations on other underlying factors, but its the only way I have been able to enjoy 4K content until the native Plex Android App is updated to support 4K.

Plex slacking behind in this area at the moment in my opinion.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but from what I've witnessed, the Android App does appear to support 4K at the moment.

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 431Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

True ... but you have NEWS! Doesn't that count anything? :)

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 2,222Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex does support 4K on all my 4K devices.
    However, 4K must be encoded
    MP4 / H265 / AC3

Try That..

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Posts: 154Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jjrjr1 said:
    Plex does support 4K on all my 4K devices.
    However, 4K must be encoded
    MP4 / H265 / AC3

Try That..

You should be able to use mkv as well since its just a container like mp4. I think the big thing is it needs to be encoded in h265.

Local Server
    CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 2,222Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not sure if Plex has fixed the issue with 4K ONLY direct streams from a MP4 / h256 / ac3
    All other configurations used to transcode.
    And WILL always transcode with subtitles.