If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku4 No Audio with eac3 5.1 audio channel

jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,945Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just an FYI

If a movie is encoded with eac3 audio Plex will direct play the Audio but the Roku won't play audio.
The Roku, in that case should be transcoding audio to something the Roku can understand.

I re-encoded to AC3 5.1 and it still direct plays but there is sound.

Answers

• DFuryDFury Posts: 246Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What is the main audio setting on your Roku set to? If your receiver/TV/etc doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus...the setting needs to be set to "Dolby D", or if you device supports DTS it should be set to "Dolby D, DTS".

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,945Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

well not sure..
    But if the Roku reports no EAC3 support, regardless of reason, should it not transcode???

• DFuryDFury Posts: 246Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Roku reports its audio capabilities to the server according to what you have the audio settings set to. Out in the main Roku home screen, go to "settings", "Audio", and set both audio mode and HDMI and S/PDIF to "Dolby D" and see what happens.

ok
    Those settings are already set to Dolby D and DTS

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,872Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@jjrjr1 what do you have the Direct Play setting set to in the Plex for Roku settings under video?

@ljunkie
    Yes.
    All my videos direct play
    My settings are set for direct play.
    In this case both PMS status and Plex Py reported it was direct playing the eac3 audio but no sound on the Roku4

I re-encoded the audio to ac3 and all was good.

BTW the eac3 was a 6.1 channel track

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,872Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@jjrjr1 I was asking what your Direct Play setting is set to.

• Open the Plex channel
    • Go to the settings -> Video -> Direct Play: (what do you have selected)

@ljunkie
    Direct Play setting in the Plex channel is set to Auto.

Sorry