If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

One interface for Plex and iTunes movies?

R3asonR3ason Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is there any known way to view both an iTunes movie collection (e.g. movies purchased via iTunes) AND a Plex library from one interface (I’m not asking about Plex playing iTunes movies; I know that’s not possible)? My movie collection is split between iTunes and Plex, but it’s super annoying to have to toggle between tvOS’s movie / tv app and Plex in order to view everything. Regardless of whether the movie plays in Plex or I have to switch to another player (to play iTunes purchased movies), being able to see the contents of my entire collection in one.single.spot. would be SO nice! Any suggestions or possibilities? Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 438Members ✭✭✭

Nope. Not possible unless you put everything in iTunes.

• lauridsdlauridsd Posts: 128Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You can remove the DRM from your iTunes movies with TunesKit (no reencoding!) and add them to Plex.

• R3asonR3ason Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 11

Was looking to avoid A) putting everything in Plex or B ) putting everything in iTunes (at some point it will all be consolidated, but that takes money and time).

I assume this isn’t possible because Apple must not have an API for iTunes purchases?

Suppose one (not really elegant) option would be to “spoof” the movies in Plex via manual lookups on dummy files. I’d get the covers / info, and just wouldn’t be able to play ‘em in Plex, which would be the indication that they’re iTunes movies.

• R3asonR3ason Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 13

@arobe79 said:
    Just add the folder you are keeping your iTunes movies as a location in your Movie library. The movies from iTunes will show up in the single movie library, they just won’t play unless you strip the drm.

That’s a possibility, though I’d rather not take up the disk space for 100 iTunes movies that are available in the cloud. Think I might modify this approach, though, by adding the folder, downloading the movies, letting Plex pick them up, and then deleting the files (my library is set to not auto delete library items) since there’s no point to keeping ‘em since Plex won’t play them anyway.
    I’ll mark this as the answer for now, but if anyone else has better ideas, let me know!