If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Xbox One (X) - Video not smoothly

mrc247_DEmrc247_DE Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yesterday I tested the Xbox One Plex app.

Unfortunately, a 1080p video is not smoothly but very jerky. (direct play no transcoding)
The video does not stop or anything, but it does not run smoothly throughout.

When I play the same video with the iOS app on my iPad Air 2 (2014) or with the Plex for LG app directly on my LG TV (2017), it's very smooth. (both also direct play no transcoding).

What can this be? I mean the Xbox One X has a lot more power than the iPad and the TV together, so it can not really be wrong.
Someone an idea?

Please excuse my bad English. I am not a native speaker. :)

Plex Media Server: QNAP TS-453A (Linux, 4GB RAM, Intel Celeron 1.6 GHz quad-core CPU), 4x 4TB WD Red (Raid 5), 1 Gbit Ethernet
Plex Clients: Plex for LG, XPlay, Plex for iOS, Plex for Apple TV, Plex for Xbox One
TV: LG OLED65C7D (WebOS 3.5, Firmware 04.70.30)

Answers

• TeknoJunkyTeknoJunky Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

is your xbox connected via wifi or ethernet?

if it is wifi, then I would suggest using an ethernet cable and retesting.

• mrc247_DEmrc247_DE Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 10

1 GBit ethernet, I forgot to mention. ;)

The LG TV has "only" 100 MBit.

that's not the problem, the test videos had only 1080p and no 4K.

Plex Media Server: QNAP TS-453A (Linux, 4GB RAM, Intel Celeron 1.6 GHz quad-core CPU), 4x 4TB WD Red (Raid 5), 1 Gbit Ethernet
    Plex Clients: Plex for LG, XPlay, Plex for iOS, Plex for Apple TV, Plex for Xbox One

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 430Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You might want to try turning direct play and direct stream off in the Xbox One app. I've got those turned off permanently as I get banding on some 1080p movies. Plus, skipping through a recorded TS file is painfully slow unless I force transcoding. It's unfortunate, as the hardware can handle the videos, but apparently the MS video player can not and Plex is using the MS video player.

Unfortunately, transcoding is not an option for me.
    For 1080p transcoding, my server (CPU) is not strong enough.

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 430Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mrc247_DE said:
    Unfortunately, transcoding is not an option for me.
    For 1080p transcoding, my server (CPU) is not strong enough.

Ah, ok. In that case, you might need to go with a separate box. nVidia Shield seems to be a favorite among others on the forum. IMO having a separate box is pretty annoying, but when all else fails that might be the best option.

edited January 10

yes, but I wanted to avoid connecting another device, all HDMI inputs are full. ;)

I have now tested 4 clients:

XBO: Video Problems
    Plex for LG: Video / Audio Sync. Problems & and no way to select the subtitles before starting the video
    XPlay (inofficial client for LG TVs): Audio problems when using stereo headphones

Only on the iPad (iOS) I had no problems so far, but I do not want to look on the iPad but on my 65 inch OLED. >:)

• TeknoJunkyTeknoJunky Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have an xbox1x and haven't noticed any issues with my network/content, but I have not used it extensively either.

My main plex client has become my tcl/roku 4k tv, which seems to work pretty good (I do have forced direct play enable).