If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex restarts a old dead IP address

crawdevilcrawdevil Posts: 9Members ✭✭

Plex is broadcasting an old ip address from my NAS. I uninstall, wipe the plex directories and users from my NAS and sign out of plex.tv. the old ip address goes away. I reinstall, and the old address comes back on my NAS; before I even log into the new plex server.

i had plex running a couple years on my synology nas, with no problem, watching my Vizio smart app. I got a new router, and a new address, moving from .110 subnet to a .255 subnet. Then the Vizio couldn't find the NAS plex because, although the new .254 PMS address was there, so was the old plex.110 address. When i stop PMS, both disappear, when i start PMS they come back (seen in a netstat -a). The vizio gets confused if there are 2 servers and fails. I can get remote to connect over the internet, but it wont stream video.

How do I get the NAS Plex to forget this old .110 forever?

Best Answer

• crawdevilcrawdevil Posts: 9Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Its resolved. An Ifconfig showed the old 110 address on eth 0. Synology told me to reset the network by sticking a pin in the reset hole for no more than 4 seconds. next ifconfig was clean, reinstalled plex, connected, tv worked, enabled remote, it worked. All clear!
    Thanks for working with me on it.

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 19,377Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

That sounds like more of a local networking issue with the Synology than it does with PMS.

Can you show me your Network configuration for the interface(s) you're using and the address which PMS is reporting to you? Also, are you running PMS native or in a Docker container?

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

edited January 11

I was hoping it was Synology instead of the PMS but I don't think so because the .110 only shows up when PMS is running. I do a netstat -a |grep 110:
    $ netstat -a |grep 110
    udp 0 0 192.168.110.10:53490 0.0.0.0:*
    udp 0 0 192.168.110.10:53537 0.0.0.0:*
    udp 0 0 192.168.110.10:51772 0.0.0.0:*

110 is the old network before I upgraded my router. When PMS is shut down these disappear. The new .254 subnet (my only subnet) also appears. I have followed the instructions in the faq and other threads about wiping plex off the NAS, and clearing my plex.tv account. Since i telnetted in and wiped the directories, and also never used the local or plex web account, it was a surprise when i reinstalled and started the server and .110 always kept reappearing. I have tried the old plex my NAS has, the new plex stable version and the beta version.
    What specific network config would you like? Do I PM it? I am not using a docker.Where would a clean install of plex find that old address? does it query a file (perhaps /etc/something?) to find the IP it needs and possibly old ones?

Thank you for your kind help.

-----------TL; DR history of what i have done, ignore if you want, just for reference:----------
    no subnet segregation
    no dns rebinding

MediaContainer size="2">
    Device name="MyDevicesCorrectName" product="Plex Media Server" productVersion="1.10.0.4523-648bc61d4" platform="Linux" platformVersion="3.10.102 (#15217 SMP Wed Dec 20 18:18:56 CST 2017)" device="DiskStation"clientIdentifier="long client identifier" createdAt="1515597667" lastSeenAt="1515597668" provides="server" owned="1" accessToken="xgeWYzus1y9SfjxzjsfH" publicAddress="xx.xx.xx-xxx-correct" httpsRequired="0"synced="0" relay="0" publicAddressMatches="1" presence="1">
    Connection protocol="https" address="192.168.254.12" port="32400" uri="https://192-168-254-12.a1d02cd830284779807e8763caa07e81.plex.direct:32400" local="1"/> **Good One

Connection protocol="https" address="192.168.110.10" port="32400" uri="https://192-168-110-10.a1d02cd830284779807e8763caa07e81.plex.direct:32400" local="1"/> ****Bad stubborn dead one
    ****Device>

Plex server only connects with my Vizio tv app remotely. It shows thumbnails, but times out starting a movie. FireTv and Chromeweb remote and local all work well, its just the VIZIO.

in the vizio app, when i select the server name at top, it says "Remote". If i Disable remote, it cant find the server, which i believe means its not finding the local server on the same subnet.

VIZIO was working until i got a new router from my ISP. There seems to be no DNS protection on the router. I swapped between their default DNS and the google dns.

I have a synology DS515+NAS with only 1 ip interface, no virtual interfaces. It is on the same subnet as the router. The server is plugged directly into the router, as is the tv.

I have followed the common instructions in the forums, such as reinstalling (Intel32), logging in and out, removing the devices. I followed the instructions for looking up the connections via URL with token. I have 2 local devices, including the old (non existant) subnet. The forum said Vizio is opera, which has a problem with 2 local devices. I followed the guide to try and force a new network setup to the .tv server (with the tv powered off). I deleted the devices from the .tv server, but when the media server came back up, the old ip address was right there as local next to the legit new IP address. Something is keeping it. I followed instructions to completely wipe plex from my server. Telnetted in and rm-r 'd the plex directories and did a fresh install. Still the old "local" entry persists with the new token.

All these attempts explicitly following the instructions in the forums and FAQ (linked in their signature!)

Finally i wiped plex off the NAS again, including telnet rm -r, logged out of plex.tv. I reinstalled and opened a new plex.tv account on a diff email. Connected them, and the OLD LOCAL ADDRESS CAME BACK!

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 19,377Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

If you deleted Preferences.xml , and the address came back, it must be the NAS or how you're running PMS.

Is it in a container , VM, or is the Synology Virtual Switch active ?

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

I did delete preferences, and the whole Plex folder. I am not running it in a container or Virtual Machine.
    I never activated a Virtual Switch. Prior to the new router, the DSM was on another router (the .110) but its been wiped since then.

Is your Syno configured for DHCP (dynamic/automatic) network address assignment or is it static (manually) assigned?

If you have it dynamic, I assert to you that something on your LAN is handing out that address (which DHCP servers tend to do)

Useful links

Accepted Answer

Its resolved. An Ifconfig showed the old 110 address on eth 0. Synology told me to reset the network by sticking a pin in the reset hole for no more than 4 seconds. next ifconfig was clean, reinstalled plex, connected, tv worked, enabled remote, it worked. All clear!
    Thanks for working with me on it.