If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K HDR playback on a 5K iMac?

kevinbarrekevinbarre Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

With the latest update of Plex for iOS (4.23.1), I can watch 4K HDR videos cleanly on an iPhone X. The same videos look washed out and lifeless using any browser in a 5K 27" iMac. Any ideas on making that work?

Answers

• loose809loose809 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

The reason for this is because the PMP is not direct playing your 4K HEVC content, if any PMP transcode 4K content of any kind is going to look washed out. I noticed this few days ago. Download the Plex Media Player for your Mac instead of using the browser and see if your 4K content looks washed out, I have an iMac non 4K and my 4K content looks normal when I play it on the PMP. Make sure all your PMP’s have direct play enabled, but this is not a guaranteed solution since my other devices look washed out as well, Plex needs to look this up. Don’t know if is a file thing.

• kevinbarrekevinbarre Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 12

@loose809 said:
    Download the Plex Media Player for your Mac instead of using the browser

Where would one find such a thing to download?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.