Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox one updated to 2.1.1.70 today -- more issues

alzee76alzee76 Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

In addition to the known issue "Stop button on Xbox Media Remotes sometimes unresponsive during video playback." the pause and play buttons (on remote control) do not work at all during playback. They worked in the previous version, and they work in all other video apps on the xbox one.

Also the fast forward and rewind commands are still broken. They only skip ahead 30s or back 10s now. In the version prior to the last one they actually worked and had multiple speeds from 2x up to 128x.

Tagged:

Best Answers

  • MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

    Hi there. Thanks for the report. We're preparing a hotfix and pushing it out ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

  • MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

    A fix for the pause button/command issue is coming in the next update. We're still investigating the buffering issue some of you are experiencing, it's devlishy hard to debug. But thank you for your logs, they're very helpful.

«13

Answers

  • MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

    Hi there. Thanks for the report. We're preparing a hotfix and pushing it out ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

  • cfloerschcfloersch Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited January 11

    When you start a season with episode 1, then it completes and autoplays episode 2, then you press back it returns to episode 1 rather than 2.

    Same is true if it auto plays to any episode. Back always returns to the episode you started with not the episode you were watching when you clicked back.

  • Kuzuri_616Kuzuri_616 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    Having the same issue with the play / pause button until I hit the centre directional button to bring up the control bar.

    As for the forward / rewind button, I actually really like the 30s forward / 10s back feature. The only improvement I'd suggest there would be to be able to hold down the button for a continuous fast forward / rewind.

  • MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee

    @cfloersch That's a known issue at the moment, we're going to improve that in a future update.

  • mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 574 Plex Pass

    The issue where deleting a file causes an error appears to be back. I just tried to delete an episode that I finished and it wouldn't delete.

    And while I know FF/RW isn't here yet, the icons seem to be mixed up. When watching a movie, FF/RW skips, but the skip icons are grayed out. I realize the skip buttons now are for next/previous episode, but those icons really need to use common images. If FF/RW isn't available yet, then show proper skip icons like on Android instead of FF/RW icons.

    One positive that I noticed though is when playing back some 1080p movies I don't get banding anymore. But, unfortunately, skipping forward one too many times on a 1080p movie or Plex DVR recorded show completely freezes the video. It starts buffering and won't stop buffering. And that happens with direct play on or off, it doesn't seem to make a difference. It crashes either way.

  • Tdawg410Tdawg410 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭

    Oh great now Plex is censoring comments. I'll just copy it here

    New update, yay!! But wait...

    I still have the baby poop colored background
    I still have the ridiculous menu system

    But now, I get buffering all the time. Why is it buffering you ask? Well, for one thing my media (ir) remote will no longer PLAY\PAUSE! It did yesterday before the update so wtf, why would you remove that??

    It's even buffering mid show now. Before you ask, I'm on a wired Ethernet connection, gigabit actually (catalyst 2960s), and my server is a 16 core Dell with 32gb ram, connected to the same switch. It didn't buffer midshow yesterday.

    And honestly the Xbox media player can play these files directly, so why the hell is Plex even trying to transcode it? My remote even plays, pauses, and has a normal ff\rew in the Media Player, again wtf Plex??

    Btw it's so bad now my wife went to bed while it was buffering and said the 'used to be pretty app isn't worth the headaches' and wants to go back to mezzemo.

  • LucidonlineLucidonline Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

    Most things are working great except Amazon Alexa can no longer control plex.

  • Zman2k16Zman2k16 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass
    edited January 11

    Still, my VC-1 encoded MKVs don't play at all. Just constant buffering. The rest work now, just the VC-1 don't.

    Actually, I just checked. PGS subtitles on H.264 encoded MKVs buffers still, too.

  • mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 574 Plex Pass

    @Moussa said:
    Hi there. Thanks for the report. We're preparing a hotfix and pushing it out ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Pause and play button still doesn't work even after the hotfix. Still have to bring up the control bar to get it to work.

    @Zman2k16 said:
    Still, my VC-1 encoded MKVs don't play at all. Just constant buffering. The rest work now, just the VC-1 don't.

    Actually, I just checked. PGS subtitles on H.264 encoded MKVs buffers still, too.

    I'm surprised more people aren't having issues with buffering. The new update is worse then the previous one in this regard. My Plex DVRd shows constantly buffer, and unfortunately get completely stuck on buffering if I try to skip through all the commercials. And turning off direct play doesn't help. Seems a hotfix is needed for this too.

    @Moussa Really appreciate your help tracking down issues, but is there any regression testing on this app? How do these issues keep coming back? One in particular is the error when trying to delete. Why is this back when it was fixed in the last version? Regression testing should've caught that. Understand you can't have scripts that catch everything, but scripts should certainly be written for issues that have occurred in the past. And something like the buffering issue that several people are seeing. That most definitely should've been caught in testing. Can we please get another hotfix to fix the delete and buffering issues?

  • Ian.GIan.G Members, Plex Pass Posts: 60 Plex Pass

    Another problem that seems to be apparent in this update is that whilst you are playing a long album or music playlist with no interactions from the remote control the Xbox ONE shuts itself down as it thinks the console has experienced a period of inactivity.

    This has happened twice so far - I'll try and time how long it is between a fresh start and an automatic shutdown. I've not tried this with any video streams yet so I can't say if this is just related to audio playback.

    Anyone else find this ?

  • niklaslarssonniklaslarsson Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

    I too find that the play/pause button isn't working. Hopefully the fix is soon released.

    And there is a lot of buffering when skipping ahead or back.

  • niklaslarssonniklaslarsson Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

    Installed the latest update and now the play/pause button is working again.

  • Ian.GIan.G Members, Plex Pass Posts: 60 Plex Pass

    @Ian.G said:
    Another problem that seems to be apparent in this update is that whilst you are playing a long album or music playlist with no interactions from the remote control the Xbox ONE shuts itself down as it thinks the console has experienced a period of inactivity.

    This has happened twice so far - I'll try and time how long it is between a fresh start and an automatic shutdown. I've not tried this with any video streams yet so I can't say if this is just related to audio playback.

    Anyone else find this ?

    I can confirm after an hour the Xbox One puts itself to sleep even though its busy and active playing in Plex.

  • DSCONEDSCONE Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

    @Tdawg410 said:
    Oh great now Plex is censoring comments. I'll just copy it here

    New update, yay!! But wait...

    I still have the baby poop colored background
    I still have the ridiculous menu system

    But now, I get buffering all the time. Why is it buffering you ask? Well, for one thing my media (ir) remote will no longer PLAY\PAUSE! It did yesterday before the update so wtf, why would you remove that??

    It's even buffering mid show now. Before you ask, I'm on a wired Ethernet connection, gigabit actually (catalyst 2960s), and my server is a 16 core Dell with 32gb ram, connected to the same switch. It didn't buffer midshow yesterday.

    And honestly the Xbox media player can play these files directly, so why the hell is Plex even trying to transcode it? My remote even plays, pauses, and has a normal ff\rew in the Media Player, again wtf Plex??

    Btw it's so bad now my wife went to bed while it was buffering and said the 'used to be pretty app isn't worth the headaches' and wants to go back to mezzemo.

    Go buy a Nvidia Shield.

  • parkiegparkieg Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

    @Zman2k16 said:
    Still, my VC-1 encoded MKVs don't play at all. Just constant buffering. The rest work now, just the VC-1 don't.

    I'm also experiencing buffering, and this has never been an issue before, ever. I downloaded the full season of The Orville, and watched the first episode last night. It's MKV but must be a different encoding than most of my other MKVs because Plex made the video play weirdly - all movements were jerky and not smooth at all. But it still played the episode.
    Then today (after the new update downloaded) it still plays jerkily but now I have to watch the 'Buffering' wheel spin for two minutes before the episode even starts. Then it stops to buffer again after 15 seconds. Then again after another 15 seconds.
    Even when I tried the same episode I watched last night.
    I've got a 100Mb connection, ethernet wired, so it's not a bandwidth issue.
    I've resorted to using the Xbox VLC Player app and it plays the same episodes perfectly.

  • Tdawg410Tdawg410 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭

    @derekrascon said:

    Go buy a Nvidia Shield.

    Why?

  • MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee

    @Ian.G Filed internally, we'll look into that issue.

  • MoussaMoussa Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,634 Plex Employee

    @mbarylski The app goes through a lot of testing before release, though on occasions some bugs (like the play/pause remote issue) will slip through unfortunately. Regarding the buffering issues some users are experiencing (and I have to stress that this is only some users) those issues are much more difficult to test for. As you can imagine our users are running servers on an infinite possible combinations of hardware, with widely different network setups and conditions, playing media files that are all unique in a million possible ways, with their own differences and quirks. To sum up it's difficult to catch every issue in advance, or even reproduce the issue you're experiencing. I can only ask for patience while we track down any issues and ask you to help us out by providing setup information, media information, and server logs.

  • alzee76alzee76 Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

    @Moussa & @mbarylski I see the buffering as well when I skip ahead or back, not during normal playback. It used to skip ahead fairly seamlessly, though as I've repeatedly said I really want the normal real fast-forward and rewind back!!. Now I notice it a lot more because for example when I am trying to get back to where I was before a crash, I hit FF a couple of times to skip ahead a minute or two... then wait to see if it's where I want.. and it buffers.. and I hit forward or back a few more times to get where I want.. and it buffers again.

    I have a feeling this is spawning transcoders on the server as well or something, because whenever I have to do this now, it's not long before the little fan in my NUC is screaming. :(

  • mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 574 Plex Pass

    @Moussa said:
    @mbarylski The app goes through a lot of testing before release, though on occasions some bugs (like the play/pause remote issue) will slip through unfortunately. Regarding the buffering issues some users are experiencing (and I have to stress that this is only some users) those issues are much more difficult to test for. As you can imagine our users are running servers on an infinite possible combinations of hardware, with widely different network setups and conditions, playing media files that are all unique in a million possible ways, with their own differences and quirks. To sum up it's difficult to catch every issue in advance, or even reproduce the issue you're experiencing. I can only ask for patience while we track down any issues and ask you to help us out by providing setup information, media information, and server logs.

    Really appreciate the response and explanation. Understanding that there are a wide variety of setups, it seems it's time to implement a Plex Pass release channel. Or Alpha, Beta, Omega like the Xbox. A lot of us are using this as the primary media player/DVR and IMHO are expecting TiVo like reliability. Plex is nowhere near TiVo like reliability, and probably never will be, but it can get a lot closer. A user test channel would certainly help. I stopped downloading the Plex Pass server updates more than a year ago after an update caused a forced reboot every hour. Being in the public release has saved me a lot of headaches. It would be nice if something similar could be implemented for the Xbox app so bugs can get worked out before those of us using Plex as a primary media player don't have to deal with as many bugs. What do you think? Any chance a Plex Pass update channel can be added for the Xbox One app before a public release?

    As for the buffering issue, I'll send logs tonight.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.