If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't mount network storage

I recently bought a Nvidia Shield, and intended to use it as a PMS.

My plan was to attach my HDD to my router (TP-Link Archer C2 AC750), and mount the storage to my shield. Now, I enabled Storage Sharing in the Routers settings and allowed anonymous access to all volumes. But the drive doesn't show up in the Shields settings. It even says that storage sharing is based on NetBIOS / SMB-Protocoll (Router). The Drive shows up on my PC and I can access and transfer files to it, after I've set it up. I can even see it in ES File Explorer on my phone. The only device where I can't see it/mount it manullay, is my Nvidia Shield. I always get an error saying "null is not available" or "failed to connect to network". I've even tried it with another drive (both NTFS) still nothing. Something else that I should maybe mention is that the Tp Link router is set up as a Acces Point. So it's connected to another router through ethernet. I used this guide: http://www.tp-link.com/at/faq-417.html.

I'm really frustrated and consider sending the Shield back, because this was the main way I wanted to use the shield combined with Plex, but it doesn't seem to work no matter what I try.

Hopefully somebody can help, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Answers

• rjwerthrjwerth Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 14

Start with the basics:

Make sure your router firmware is up to date.
    Make sure your shield experience is up to date.
    Make sure Plex and Plex Server both are up to date on your shield.

If all that is done and you still can't see your share, try disabling Plex and Plex media server. Then clear the cache and program data from both. Then uninstall both. Finally, reinstall. The Shield is using Plex Media server to do all the networking stuff so if it is borked, you won't get anywhere. I had to do this a couple times to get my Shield to see my ReadyNAS when I first got it but that was a year ago and has been fine ever since.

I will warn you that a router is a pretty slow server, so don't expect too much from it. Attaching your HDD to the Shield or your PC directly would provide a much better experience.