Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex app on LG webOS transcoding with subtitles enabled

David HeidarDavid Heidar Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Should the Plex app on LG webOS be transcoding, with the subtitles enabled.

I'm able to do a direct stream on a Samsung 4K 2016 model with subtitles enabled.

I don't see any setting in the LG app to not burn subtitles unless they are image format, like the Samsung app has.

Server: Intel NUC (i7-7567U running PMS on Ubuntu Server 16.04)
Clients: Samsung KS7005, LG 65UH615V (webOS 3.0), PS4, iOS, Android

Comments

• Róbert KohányiRóbert Kohányi Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same problem. I have an LG 43LJ614V TV (https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/3389b62). Is there anything I could do?

• roberto@rhernando.netroberto@rhernando.net Posts: 1Members

Same problem here

• dusan22dusan22 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here (LG B6, using native Plex app on WebOS).
    Any possibility to play media with subtitles without transcoding? Or play transcoded media without quality decrease?

• jmelz28jmelz28 Posts: 46Members ✭✭

Us LG users have been neglected. It's that simple. I think it's becoming obvious what the issues are, so that's good, but who knows if they will be resolved.

Makes me wonder if I should have bought a Samsung...

• jimboharmojimboharmo Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's not optimal neither on the android app for sony tv.

• LSL1337LSL1337 Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

they know about the issue, and working on a solution already. there are plenty of threads about this issue.
    the app will (at a later date, no ETA ofc) have a setting for subtitles. so it can tell the server to transcode or not.
    currently there is no setting for it, so the server auto transcodes

Bump... hoping there is some change on this at some point... I would hate to see this issue fade into the ether again...

• markus101markus101 Posts: 213Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

This issue is on our radar, I can't provide an ETA when it'll be addressed.

• KrazehKrazeh Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@markus101 Without wanting to sound impatient is there any particular reason why it's taking so long? Given how often it's mentioned on here I think subtitles not working are a particular annoyance for a number of people, especially in light of the increase in available 4K media and the difficulties faced in transcoding that in real time. It's more frustrating that an unofficial client (Xplay) can manage to do it, as can a competing product (Emby) while there doesn't seem to be any movement forward from Plex.

I appreciate your reply markus101, but It's extremely frustrating that this has been going on for years, and still is not a priority to the plex team.

• dlanileonardodlanileonardo Posts: 1Members

I Have the same problem here. :(

• arokharokh Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Xplay works perfectly and has better controls than the native Plex app to boot. LG is industry leader in OLED panels and this should be a very easy fix, guess this means that Plex development has halted for some reason.