If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV 4th Gen Crashing Plex Media Server?

jimmiz99jimmiz99 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just guessing, but It seems the latest TV OS Plex app update (1.22 from 1/11/2018 on tvOS 11.2.1) might be causing my Plex Media Server (Windows 10 x64 PMS Version 1.11.0.4666) to crash. The problem only seems to happen when transcoding is happening, but that is fairly frequent for us as we watch several interlaced DVR recordings that flicker if they are set to original quality. Original quality does not seem to cause the problem and transcoding from Plex Web or iOS clients do not seem to cause the problem. But if I watch content from the Apple TV the server will reliably crash after about 15-30 seconds. I've attached my log file in case that helps.

Am I the only one? The latest update seemed to be focused around Apple TV 4k and HDR, but I have a 4th Gen (non HDR) Apple TV (and TV).

Thanks! And keep up the excellent work.

ODD P.S. Following the first crash earlier this afternoon and when I first restarted Plex Media Server and started debugging/reproducing the crash this evening a couple of scheduled DVR recordings did appear to complete successfully. I suppose different services could explain this, but it was surprising and nice.

«13

Answers

  • medicguy1366medicguy1366 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Same issue here. I have 3 media servers, 2 on Win 10 and 1 on Mac OS High Sierra all running .1.11.0.4666. After watching a program for 23 secs on my Apple TV with version 1.22 of Plex all media servers crash and shutdown. No issues on my Roku, ipad or iphones.

  • mini.PLEXmini.PLEX Posts: 302Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 13

    I believe I am experiencing the same issue too... for me seems to just be .mkv files that are being transcoded that crashes the server.

    Various files tested and each time it crashes the PMS almost instantly.

    @plex devs is this being looked at, known issue?

     Mac mini | mac OSX High Sierra V10.13.3 | 2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 | 16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    Server: PMS 1.11.1
    Clients: PMP 2.4.0 | iOS iPhone 6s | apple TV4
    Clients: Kodi 18 | Plex for Kodi addon v0.1.1 | PlexKodiConnect v1.8.11
    Storage: 4x WD 4TB USB 3.0 Hard Drives
    Receiver: Panasonic Viera TX-50DX700B | Pioneer AV SX-SW55

  • andreasmaksandreasmaks Posts: 106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    same here!

  • kevinb67kevinb67 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I have two Apple TV 4th Gen one has Plex version 1.17.1 and the other is 1.22

    The 1.17.1 version will play my .265 mkv files fine (with auto conversion) the 1.22 tries to direct stream and fails.

    1.22
    when quality is set to play original quality

    now playing says
    converting
    direct stream
    Transcoding AAC to AC3

    nothing plays. Then error on Apple TV "Something went wrong playing your media please try again."

    So issue appeared with the 1.22 update.

  • mm53barmm53bar Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Phew! So good to see this. I assumed it was just my system. Actually thought it was on the server side because I just updated my mac mini but I'm on an apple tv 4th gen for the client so that must be the problem. My daughter actually mentioned it also occurred on her ipad but I haven't tried to recreate yet. Playing the same video on my laptop using the web client worked just fine.

  • seannymurrsseannymurrs Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Same problem here.

  • jpollard3jpollard3 Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Also having this issue.

  • ShaGeShaGe Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Same here. On AppleTV 4th gen, AppleTV 4K and also experienced it on my iPad Pro. All transcoding HEVC. Rolled back my server to the latest public release and it’s working fine now. Server is running on MacOS

  • dannydiggzdannydiggz Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    seems 1080p h265 is the culprit... wonder how long til a fix comes

  • noahflixnoahflix Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 14

    Same here. ATV 4th Gen on app v1.22 crashes PMS v1.11.0.4666 almost directly after playback starts. Started on Jan 11 when 1.22 seems to have come out.

  • dannydiggzdannydiggz Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Another user mentioned downgrading to 1.10.1.4602 temporarily, worked for him and me as well...

    Info on how to do that here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223300/osx-rollback-updatea

  • noahflixnoahflix Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 14

    @dannydiggz said:
    Another user mentioned downgrading to 1.10.1.4602 temporarily, worked for him and me as well...

    Info on how to do that here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223300/osx-rollback-updatea

    This definitely fixed it here as well, thanks. I also confirmed that 4633 is affected in addition to 4666, but 4602 does not crash.

    Also FYI for those on Windows, if you uninstall your current version (it won't remove any data) you can reinstall 4602 from %localappdata%\Plex Media Server\Updates\1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b\packages\Plex-Media-Server-1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b.exe if you had it previously.

    Hoping for it to be fixed in a future release...

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,874Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited January 14

    @jimmiz99 said:
    Just guessing, but It seems the latest TV OS Plex app update (1.22 from 1/11/2018 on tvOS 11.2.1) might be causing my Plex Media Server (Windows 10 x64 PMS Version 1.11.0.4666) to crash. The problem only seems to happen when transcoding is happening, but that is fairly frequent for us as we watch several interlaced DVR recordings that flicker if they are set to original quality. Original quality does not seem to cause the problem and transcoding from Plex Web or iOS clients do not seem to cause the problem. But if I watch content from the Apple TV the server will reliably crash after about 15-30 seconds. I've attached my log file in case that helps.

    Am I the only one? The latest update seemed to be focused around Apple TV 4k and HDR, but I have a 4th Gen (non HDR) Apple TV (and TV).

    Thanks! And keep up the excellent work.

    ODD P.S. Following the first crash earlier this afternoon and when I first restarted Plex Media Server and started debugging/reproducing the crash this evening a couple of scheduled DVR recordings did appear to complete successfully. I suppose different services could explain this, but it was surprising and nice.

    A bug has been identified that gives rise to crash of Plex Media Server when Apple TV 1.22 in use and Automatic Quality Adjustment and HEVC. A fix will be released in Plex Media Server. The log you provided was for period after the crash. If you provide the zip of all the logs after the crash then I can check if it is this same crash

    See https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • mini.PLEXmini.PLEX Posts: 302Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Does anybody know if the Apple TVOS Beta programme is still running... I ask as the beta build seems to now be the same as the official release?

    Intrigued to know whether I should switch back to the official?

    Thanks

     Mac mini | mac OSX High Sierra V10.13.3 | 2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 | 16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    Server: PMS 1.11.1
    Clients: PMP 2.4.0 | iOS iPhone 6s | apple TV4
    Clients: Kodi 18 | Plex for Kodi addon v0.1.1 | PlexKodiConnect v1.8.11
    Storage: 4x WD 4TB USB 3.0 Hard Drives
    Receiver: Panasonic Viera TX-50DX700B | Pioneer AV SX-SW55

  • erikbennett@me.comerikbennett@me.com Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I was having the same problem with some 1080p HEVC encodes. But not all of them. Sometimes manually setting them to convert automatically would fix and allow them to play. But usually it would end up crashing my media server altogether.

    Rolling back to 1.10.1.4602 has fixed it.

    I was on Plex Media Server 1.11.0.4666 (macOS 10.12) and Apple TV 4K (whatever the most current version).

  • alefkaalefka Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Having the same issue. Apple TV 4k and Plex Media Server 1.11.0.4666 (Win 10)

    Jan 14, 2018 20:21:36.653 [500236] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
    Jan 14, 2018 20:21:38.931 [500452] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
    Jan 14, 2018 20:21:54.991 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:00.313 [497632] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.351 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.670 [502320] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.078 [497632] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - CreateBitstreamBuffer failed: invalid version (15)
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.178 [498476] INFO - [FFMPEG] - MFT name: 'NVIDIA HEVC Encoder MFT'
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - could not set output type (MF_E_UNSUPPORTED_D3D_TYPE)
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] WARN - avcodec_open2 returned -542398533 for encoder 'hevc_mf'

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,874Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @alefka said:
    Having the same issue. Apple TV 4k and Plex Media Server 1.11.0.4666 (Win 10)

    Jan 14, 2018 20:21:36.653 [500236] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
    Jan 14, 2018 20:21:38.931 [500452] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
    Jan 14, 2018 20:21:54.991 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:00.313 [497632] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.351 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.670 [502320] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.078 [497632] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - CreateBitstreamBuffer failed: invalid version (15)
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.178 [498476] INFO - [FFMPEG] - MFT name: 'NVIDIA HEVC Encoder MFT'
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - could not set output type (MF_E_UNSUPPORTED_D3D_TYPE)
    Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] WARN - avcodec_open2 returned -542398533 for encoder 'hevc_mf'

    Can’t find any crash reports associated with your server. Please could you enable debug logging on the server: see settings / server / genera / show advanced

    Then restart the server, re produce the problem and after the crash restart the server and get the logs zip and upload here - see settings / server / help / download logs

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • EdNotEdNot Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    My AppleTV is also crashing the Plex Server and I am not using HVEC, (just DVR'd .ts files on an Apple Tv v4) that worked previously, but basically seeing the same results.

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,874Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @EdNot said:
    My AppleTV is also crashing the Plex Server and I am not using HVEC, (just DVR'd .ts files on an Apple Tv v4) that worked previously, but basically seeing the same results.

    If you have crash reporting enabled - the crash reports together with the logs would help in identifying if it is the same issue or different

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,874Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @jimmiz99 said:
    Just guessing, but It seems the latest TV OS Plex app update (1.22 from 1/11/2018 on tvOS 11.2.1) might be causing my Plex Media Server (Windows 10 x64 PMS Version 1.11.0.4666) to crash. The problem only seems to happen when transcoding is happening, but that is fairly frequent for us as we watch several interlaced DVR recordings that flicker if they are set to original quality. Original quality does not seem to cause the problem and transcoding from Plex Web or iOS clients do not seem to cause the problem. But if I watch content from the Apple TV the server will reliably crash after about 15-30 seconds. I've attached my log file in case that helps.

    Am I the only one? The latest update seemed to be focused around Apple TV 4k and HDR, but I have a 4th Gen (non HDR) Apple TV (and TV).

    Thanks! And keep up the excellent work.

    ODD P.S. Following the first crash earlier this afternoon and when I first restarted Plex Media Server and started debugging/reproducing the crash this evening a couple of scheduled DVR recordings did appear to complete successfully. I suppose different services could explain this, but it was surprising and nice.

    @sa2000 said:

    @jimmiz99 said:
    Just guessing, but It seems the latest TV OS Plex app update (1.22 from 1/11/2018 on tvOS 11.2.1) might be causing my Plex Media Server (Windows 10 x64 PMS Version 1.11.0.4666) to crash. The problem only seems to happen when transcoding is happening, but that is fairly frequent for us as we watch several interlaced DVR recordings that flicker if they are set to original quality. Original quality does not seem to cause the problem and transcoding from Plex Web or iOS clients do not seem to cause the problem. But if I watch content from the Apple TV the server will reliably crash after about 15-30 seconds. I've attached my log file in case that helps.

    Am I the only one? The latest update seemed to be focused around Apple TV 4k and HDR, but I have a 4th Gen (non HDR) Apple TV (and TV).

    Thanks! And keep up the excellent work.

    ODD P.S. Following the first crash earlier this afternoon and when I first restarted Plex Media Server and started debugging/reproducing the crash this evening a couple of scheduled DVR recordings did appear to complete successfully. I suppose different services could explain this, but it was surprising and nice.

    A bug has been identified that gives rise to crash of Plex Media Server when Apple TV 1.22 in use and Automatic Quality Adjustment and HEVC. A fix will be released in Plex Media Server. The log you provided was for period after the crash. If you provide the zip of all the logs after the crash then I can check if it is this same crash

    See https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

    Managed to locate a crash report from your server and it has been confirmed that it is the crash that is being fixed at the moment and mentioned in my earlier response

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.