If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Android TV App has no Sound :-(

thomy22thomy22 Posts: 225Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello Coder

2 of my users have had a problem with your app for some time now.

It is installed on the following Android Box:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Zeepin-X96-Mini-Android-7-1-Smart-TV-BOX-2G-Amlogic-S905W-Quad-Core-WiFi-4/32834413177.html?spm=a2g0s. 9042311.0.0. pAEvIP

No matter what we set, the played video never has sound. However, if we install the plugin for Kodi on the box and look over it, it works until server version 1.6.1. After that there is a playback error, which is already known and obviously worked on.

But as I want to update to the newer server versions we need a solution for this problem. In my opinion, it can't be the server or the box. (Because it runs over Kodi and the video runs flawlessly, only without sound)

What can we do here? The problem has existed for a long time and with every new version we try again but without success. Since my users prefer to watch your app over Kodi, I need a solution.

Hope you can help me find out what might be the cause.

My Server:

3190 Movies (HD)
236 Movies (3D+HD)
335 Movies (SD)
569 Series Complete (HD)
313 Series Returned (HD)
305 Series Complete (SD)
52 Comedien-Programs (SD+HD)
20 Live Concerts (HD)
200'000 Songs
Over 150TB Data :-)

Answers

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 512Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

considering it's different for different users, it's likely a client setting.
    please check...
    1. what kind of audio do those files have?
    2. direct stream / play set to forced?

• thomy22thomy22 Posts: 225Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since I have put both devices into operation, I can rule out a setting error.

The files have all between AC3, DTS, DTSHD, AAC and MP3 as sources. But nothing works at all, no matter which source, container etc.. Picture always perfect but no sound.

As I said before, because there are problems with the Kodi add-on (with Server 1.6.1, but they are solved, according to the forum) running with the same settings, so it has to be the app.
    Also, if I read something about the threads here in the forum, there are a lot of problems. I'm just wondering why there's hardly a thread about it written by the programmers. These are serious problems and should have been solved long ago. As I said, I've had the problems for 2 months and here are some older threads. I only reported it now because I would like to update the server version, but this is not yet possible with the Kodi variant and my users would like the solution with the direct app anyway.

I sincerely hope that this problem will be solved soon.

My Server:

3190 Movies (HD)
    236 Movies (3D+HD)
    335 Movies (SD)
    569 Series Complete (HD)
    313 Series Returned (HD)
    305 Series Complete (SD)
    20 Live Concerts (HD)
    200'000 Songs

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 512Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don’t want to be the judge of that.
    Apparently it’s not a general issue. It’s e.g. working just fine for me. I’m aware this fact doesn’t fix your issue.

However I don’t want to rule out it’s a configuration issue on the client. Don’t get me wrong... there’s just too many people in forums claiming their own setup is perfect (hence it must be someone else’s fault). However when looking into their details there’s at least a number of factors contributing to the issue.

I hope you’ll find someone with the right clues to get this sorted.

• thomy22thomy22 Posts: 225Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know how you figure it's not a common problem? Alone on the first 3-4 pages of the Android TV Forum here, there are over 10 posts with the same problems.
    Furthermore, the sound settings in Plex are generally very limited and sometimes even non-existent.

At first I doubted myself for a long time and really tried everything possible, although as a former IT system technician I am certainly not unfamiliar with the IT sector when it comes to such attitude matters. But the biggest factor that supports me in my thesis is the fact that it works with the same hardware and settings and the Kodi add-on without any problems. As written, this add-on also has a problem with the newer server version, but there is a known problem and a new version is coming soon.

But here it is the case that I have not read in any thread on the part of the programmers that you are working on something or you are doing something at all. I am also aware that there are probably several 100000 different configurations of hardware. Only the Kodi programmers and server people have this problem. So it's bad support for me and probably with one of the most important apps, because Android is probably very popular.

My Server:

3190 Movies (HD)
    236 Movies (3D+HD)
    335 Movies (SD)
    569 Series Complete (HD)
    313 Series Returned (HD)
    305 Series Complete (SD)
    20 Live Concerts (HD)
    200'000 Songs