If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why is the server transcoding this on Roku 3?

EricD1973EricD1973 Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited 2:13PM in Roku

Can anybody see a reason why a Roku 3 would have this transcoded from Plex? When the plex client is on Auto, the video is transcoded (even though bitrate limit is set to 20 in Roku Client) and audio is transcoded to 5.1 Dolby Digital. Forcing direct play plays the file with no issues and full 6.1 sound.

Is there a change I can make in the Roku profile xml to get this to not transcode by default?

Codec H264
Bitrate 13972 kbps
Language English
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Color Range tv
Color Space bt709
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 818
Level 4.1
Profile high
Ref Frames 5
Scan Type progressive
Width 1920

Codec DCA
Channels 6.1
Bitrate 1536 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout 6.1
Profile es
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Title DTS-ES 6.1 @ 1509 kbps

Codec AC3
Channels Stereo
Bitrate 224 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout stereo
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

Codec AC3
Channels Stereo
Bitrate 224 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout stereo
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,529Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Roku has said that videos should be limited to 12000 kbs bitrates. The Roku xml may be forcing transcoding of videos that exceed that rate.

I do not know for sure but that seems possible. There is some evidence that Rokus can actually handle higher bitrates but I find it hard to believe that bitrates that high result in any improvement in the playback but I would not know for sure because nothing in my library even comes close.

You might be better off getting the videos to a lower bitrate.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,587Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Level 4.1

The plex app on your roku may be set to level 4.0, try changing it to 4.1 if that's the case.

• Paul
  • EricD1973EricD1973 Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited 2:15PM

Something weird going on...

I play the movie and it transcoded due to unsupported audio. I pick track 2 which is ac3 2 channel and the 6.1 track plays with no transcoding! I pick track 3 and the 2 channel track 2 plays!

Something is up with the audio track selection in the new Roku player.

To add to this...this is the audio track selection from within the Plex pass app. If I play with the default track selected and hit the option button I get the Roku dialog and no audio tracks are available for selection. Only when I pick "track 2" using the Plex app options do I get the option to select other tracks with the Roku option button.

UPDATE 2: This only happens on a Roku hooked to a home theater receiver with DD+ / DTS capability. On my TV upstairs which is stereo only the audio track selection works as expected.

UPDATE 3: Edited the original post to include the info on the 2 other audio tracks.