If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Shows not starting, forcing restart of PMS

bwonishbwonish Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been having an issue over the past week with devices failing to be able to start a show. This is happening both within my home and remotely. For example, if i open Plex on my Fire TV box within my house on the same wired network, plex opens, shows my content. When i press play on a specific show, a message pops up, "talking to the server", "working" and the icon circles over and over until it times out. This has happened several nights in a row. PMS still appears to be running, can be logged in to, and will sometimes show activity that the device has connected. This error has been seen on fire tv boxes, sticks, iphone 7s, as well as android galaxy s8s.

At this point, the only way to get any device to access content is by restarting Plex Media Server. This has been done through restarting the machine it runs or by forcing PMS to stop through task manager.

My Plex set up has been up and running for a couple years and gets daily use locally and while out of the house. THe PC isn't perfect, but does great 99% of the time. Windows 10, AMD Athlon X4 860k quad core 4.00GHZ, 16 GB Ram, 64 bit, WIndows 10 Insider, Version 1709, OS Build 17046.1000, about 6 TB of content.

I have restarted and have plex streaming a show, but when attempting to get to the Plex Media Server settings on the PC running PMS, i am receiving an error that settings are unavailable.

I am running PMS version 1.10.1.4602. Plex Server crash logs are showing a "Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 28" But no other errors are being logged. I have turned on verbose logging.

If anyone has any ideas on what to look for or where to dig in on the verbose logs, i would appreciate the help.

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,755Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Need to look at logs

Please make sure debug logging is enabled on the server - settings / Server / General / Show Advanced and check if debug logging is enabled, No need for verbose logging at this stage - so disable it

Restart the server to get fresh logs created

When the problem happens, on say iPhone, collect the server logs and iOS app logs
    For server, Settings / Server / Help / Download logs
    For iOS App, Settings / Help & Support / Debugging / Share Debug Data / and select Email to email to yourself

Attach zip from the iOS app and the downloaded Plex Media Server logs zip and indicate the time of the error - preferably with a screenshot

If it is happening on Fire TV and not the iPhone app, please see this support article for getting the logs from the app to go with the corresponding server logs
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201573117-android-android-tv-fire-tv-logs/

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows