If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

HP Microserver Gen10 for PMS

TutchmediaTutchmedia Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

HI all,

I'm currently using an old QNAP for PMS but looking to upgrade to something that can handle h265 audio transcodes (from DTS to AC3) - Alot of people are suggesting Gen8's but they seem to be rocking horse poo these days.

I've been looking at the Gen10's and wondered if anyone had successfully used them? Are they worth it? Most of the content i have mainly will just need the audio transcoding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Tagged:

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 21,607Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

What CPU power do you have? The biggest issue with H.265 (HEVC) is the decoding part. Everything else is a, relatively speaking, piece of cake.

No they aren't 'rocking horse poo'. HEVC HDR requires a team of Clydesdale horses to decode

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• TutchmediaTutchmedia Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ChuckPA said:
    What CPU power do you have? The biggest issue with H.265 (HEVC) is the decoding part. Everything else is a, relatively speaking, piece of cake.

No they aren't 'rocking horse poo'. HEVC HDR requires a team of Clydesdale horses to decode

My current QNAP is a ts559 pro + so i think it's maybe a Atom D510 1.66 GHz. It does an amazing job of providing the content and playing most files but struggles with DTS mostly. I've been having to manually download them to my PC and transcode the audio.

My movies mostly play direct but my TV doesn't handle DTS so when it transcodes, it causes the screen to freeze up with green squares.

Also, by 'rocking horse poo', i meant hard to find to buy one :)

Was thinking of the GEN10 but heard that it's a downgrade so wanted to know if it's better to locate a GEN8.

Appreciate the help and support :)

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 21,607Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Thanks for that info. Yes, the Atom D510 will shovel the data nicely but in the PMS context it's grossly under powered. As you've seen, then the transcoder gets involved, the eggs tumble from the basket quickly.

Regarding the HP.. The Gen8 won't do HEVC transcoding. You might be able to get it to decode 8-bit (non HDR) but it definitely will not decode HDR. It can only muster 4427 Passmarks. I have an i7-3740 (8000 Passmarks) and it can't touch HEVC HDR.

For you, decoding the HEVC input, pushing the video stream unaltered and transcoding the audio (while trivial with the xeon), is on the edge of what it might be able do. Remember, it was launched in 2012. The model itself is 6 years old now and the processor even older.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1220L+V2+@+2.30GHz

My personal opinion it to step away from those older machines if you want HEVC capability at any level. 4K is extremely demanding and the first Intel chip capable of hardware decoding 8 bit HEVC is the SkyLake platform. Xeons don't have GPUs. Now, should you locate a 8+ core xeon, you can probably muscle your way through it with software decode but I have no experience with it.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

• kopfpilotkopfpilot Posts: 434Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ChuckPA said:
    Xeons don't have GPUs.

The entry level E3 12x5 v5/v6 cpus have a Intel P530, P580 or P630 GPU like their consumer level counterparts.
    Now here is the thing: some motherboard supporting those cpus disable the buildin GPU and use a cheap onboard solution.

Problems with remote connection?

• Does the server have a static-ip and is using a wired connection?
    • Is port forwarding activated in your router and matches the port in PMS->Settings->Remote-Access->Manually enter Port
    • Does the external ip (in PMS) match the wan ip (in router) and is the external port accessible (see: www.canyouseeme.org)?
    • Does the plex.web access work using the url http://remote-ip:32400/web (or the port you specified in your router)?
    • Is Secure conection disabled for troubleshoot? If not:does the router support dns rebind protection and is *.plex.direct excluded?
    • Are any special network configurations involved (Jumbo Frames / IPv6/ VPN / SSH port forwarding / more than a single router or subnet)?
    • Are any Custom server access URLs added?
    • Brand and model of the router?

What did you try so far (be as specific as you can)?

Xeons don't have GPUs that you can use in those boxes :)

Thanks for reminding me to clarify.

E3 series: Some do
    E5 & E7 series: None

Useful links

• systemsharksystemshark Posts: 193Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass
    edited February 14

Hello, Did you purchase a Gen 10 Machine, I'm intersted in this answer too as my current PMS is sick?

Given the Gen 10 is now a AMD chip, Whats the conversions like?

• jvanwest1964jvanwest1964 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too. I was just in an AMD training on the new AMD servers and the Microservers came up. I'd like to retire my Mac Mini and all the external drives and have in one box.

Jerry van West

Chandler, Arizona

Long Live Tottenham Hotspurs.  Come On You Spurs!

• doctorjzy@gmail.comdoctorjzy@gmail.com Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 22

I have just bought a Gen 10 a few days ago. I install Ubuntu 16.04.4 server on it. And hardware-accelerating encoding/decoding not work very well.

• adurbeadurbe Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@doctorjzy@gmail.com said:
    I have just bought a Gen 10 a few days ago. I install Ubuntu 16.04.4 server on it. And hardware-accelerating encoding/decoding not work very well.

Can you clarify in what way it doesn't work well?