If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does Plex change original files?

baghetti@gmail.combaghetti@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

I'm sorry if this information is answered elsewhere...but I need to be sure.
Does Plex alter any aspect of the original files, i.e. file name, location, Metadata, etc etc?
I ask this because I've spent much time organising my music files and rather think Windows Media Player did make unwanted changes on one occasion.
I'm perfectly happy for Plex to create and organise a library on my behalf.
Thanks for your help.
B

Best Answers

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 493Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Plex doesn't change your content.
    However you might want to look into the support pages about Media Preparation. Plex requires files to be named according to a set of patterns to be able to properly match them. If your files don't comply with those rules, you can still have Plex organize your library... however this will require some extra effort of correcting mismatched titles.

Answers

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 493Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Plex doesn't change your content.
    However you might want to look into the support pages about Media Preparation. Plex requires files to be named according to a set of patterns to be able to properly match them. If your files don't comply with those rules, you can still have Plex organize your library... however this will require some extra effort of correcting mismatched titles.