Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Server, Migrating 'watchstate' Issues

Zander.WhiteZander.White Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Hi all,

Wasn't too sure where to post this but seems as my new server is running Ubuntu then Linux looked like my best shot...

Onto the problem at hand - I have been running Plex on my Synology DS216+II but decided to invest in a HPE Proliant Gen8 Microserver - I've got it all set up running Ubuntu and have installed Plex onto it but wanted to start with a fresh install (and not migrate over from the Synology) however I did want to 'migrate' the watch state of my content.
I've tried to follow the handy guide here and all steps go well apart from the last step 'Destination Install' where I get the following error(s)

I've done the following so far:

• Made sure both servers are shutdown when carrying out the migration
  • Updated the Synology to the latest DSM & Plex version (so both Plex servers are the same version now)

I have noticed that the SQL versions are different from the Synology (3.10.2) vs. Ubuntu (3.11.0) - Could this be having an impact? If it is, I can't seem to find any way to update SQL on the Synology :(

Has anyone got any ideas or perhaps any alternate routes for getting the new server synchronised?

Thanks very much in advance

Zander

Tagged:

Best Answer

• tom80Htom80H Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,273 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

since you started from scratch it's more likely to be about the item IDs in your databases not matching.

Answers

• tom80Htom80H Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,273 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

since you started from scratch it's more likely to be about the item IDs in your databases not matching.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 22,850 Plex Team Member

@Zander.White

If you would like, your entire PMS installation's metadata can be relocated (cloned) to your Ubuntu system en masse.
    You would only need adjust the old directory (folder) paths to the new ones to complete the relocation.

Please let me know if you wish to do this and I'll write out how to do it. It's detailed but not that difficult. It's a tarball and a couple symlinks :)

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• Zander.WhiteZander.White Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@tom80H said:

Thanks, I didn't realise this was a thing - As it was literally like for like I just copied the whole .db file over to the new server and it worked :) Not so much starting from scratch after all!

@ChuckPA said:
    @Zander.White

If you would like, your entire PMS installation's metadata can be relocated (cloned) to your Ubuntu system en masse.
    You would only need adjust the old directory (folder) paths to the new ones to complete the relocation.

Please let me know if you wish to do this and I'll write out how to do it. It's detailed but not that difficult. It's a tarball and a couple symlinks :)

Thanks very much, as above I just went with migrating the whole file rather than messing around too much :)