Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Suggestion] Hue entertainment support

KydixKydix Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hi !

With the new version of Philips Hue App, Hue Entertainment is now out.

I'd love to see my living room lights light up with the movie i watche with plex

And you, what do you think ?

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,981 Plex Employee

You could probably get that working with Webhooks and a tiny bit of coding :smile:

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• busta999busta999 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 95 Plex Pass

Is there any interest in connecting to Plex to the new Hue Entertainment functionality which will dynamically change Hue lighting change along with video scenes as Plex is playing.
    I have done it with Apps on my iPhone and the effect is really good.
    Built into Plex it would make it available for every piece of media in the collection not just a very short list of pre configured videos.

It would basically turn Plex into automated Ambilight enabled video service.

This would help to take home theatre to the next level.

• A cool dudeA cool dude Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I would LOVE that!

• TheMooDudeTheMooDude Members, Plex Pass Posts: 224 Plex Pass

I don't currently use Philips Hue (but do have a couple of TP-Link smart lights and plugs), but this would be a great addition.

@elan said:
    You could probably get that working with Webhooks and a tiny bit of coding :smile:

As Hue Entertainment seems to rely on video or audio data to produce reactive colours / effects using lights, given what I've seen of it and my understanding of Plex webhooks I don't think this could be achieved at the moment.

i5-2500K | 20GB DDR3 | 4x3TB WD Red RAID1 | Windows Server 2012 R2 | Plex Media Server
    i7-6700 | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 980TI | Windows 10 Pro | Plex Media Player | PlexAmp
    Samsung UE40K5500 | Plex SmartTV App
    Raspberry Pi 3-B | Plex Media Player Embedded
    LG V30 | Android 8.0 | Plex for Android

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,981 Plex Employee

@TheMooDude said:
    As Hue Entertainment seems to rely on video or audio data to produce reactive colours / effects using lights, given what I've seen of it and my understanding of Plex webhooks I don't think this could be achieved at the moment.

Ah, fair enough, that makes sense.

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• thecodingartthecodingart Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

This should be natively integrated into the Plex server though. There's no reason it can't be unless Philips haven't opened their SDK to many partners yet.

• derekcentricoderekcentrico Members, Plex Pass Posts: 97 Plex Pass

I concur that this feature should be supported. However, I do not believe it to be a server-side matter. The colors seem to be controlled via what is playing at the time via a player so it would seem that the player should be communicating to Hue.... So, the official Android app that rocks my Nivida Shield sure could use this integration!!!!

How can we bribe to get this feature on a list for work?