If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Syncing multi-episode files

archbish99archbish99 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 14 in Windows

There are several shows that air two episodes at a time, so the files are eXX-eYY. When these files are synced to a client, Plex separately converts and syncs each episode -- meaning it takes double the necessary time and space to sync, because every file is converted twice, downloaded twice, and presumably stored twice.

While I know the ideal for long-term storage would be to split them in half and make separate episodes, that's more work than I want to put into having Daniel Tiger on my son's travel device. ;-) Any chance Plex could just be a little bit smarter about this?

Tagged:

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,884Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 13

Remove the second episode id from the file name. That is instead of s01e01e02 make it just s01e01. Plex does not care and will blissfully skip from e01 to e03.

I do not keep any double or triple or more episode fully enumerated but rather I just use the first episode number. If I need or want more episode metadata I simply edit the info in the web app.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 1,764Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

never noticed this, but I agree that's more than a little inconvenient...
    just a recommendation: you should add something about the syncing in your post title to get the adequate focus.

• xaotikdesignsxaotikdesigns Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's both syncing AND playing. It will play both episodes, then play them again.

Removing the second episode ID isn't really a resolution since that just means that I won't know what episodes I'm missing.