If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Enabling subtitles grows more difficult in latest releases?

addingnumbersaddingnumbers Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 13 in Plex Media Player

Turning subtitles on/off while playing seems to have gotten even harder with the recent release.

When I go to the player settings and enable subtitles, the [back] button stops the video and returns me to the episode info screen. In the previous release, it would just go back to playing (maybe after a quick rebuffer).

Is there an way to toggle subtitles with the remote that's easier than "[ok] [right] [right] [right] [right] [right] [ok] [down] [right] [down] [ok] [back] [ok] [ok]"? I do this several times a week and it's awful.

Best Answers

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 27,341Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Do you have some keys available on your remote?
    You can assign them the desired action.
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/216459997-create-your-own-inputmap/

cycle_subtitles – cycle forward between available subtitle streams
    cycle_subtitles_back – cycle backward between available subtitle streams
    toggle_subtitles – toggle whether to display (current) subtitles

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • addingnumbersaddingnumbers Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks! I'm going to give that a shot later.

Still, I'd say the UX folks at Plex should be giving some thought to how difficult they're making it to toggle subtitles in the default configuration.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 27,341Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 14

@addingnumbers said:
    When I go to the player settings and enable subtitles, the [back] button stops the video and returns me to the episode info screen. In the previous release, it would just go back to playing (maybe after a quick rebuffer).

This sounds to me like the 'Back' button is triggered twice.
    Are you able to use the Esc button instead?

What kind of remote are you using?

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

Are you able to use the Esc button instead?

Yeah, [esc] closes the Player Setting window and goes back to the video while [back] goes all the way back to the media screen only if I changed the subtitle setting.

What kind of remote are you using?

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

I think the Harmony is just mapping the inputs to the old Windows MCE remote signals.

You've got to be right, though, about the remote using some wonky mapping -- both [esc] and [backspace] give me the behavior I'd seen with this remote in previous releases. I'm going to try to map the button directly to [backspace] instead of using the straight MCE emulation.

Still, I'd like for someone at Plex to consider how difficult it is to toggle subtitles with the default controls. I'm glad to go back to twelve presses instead of fourteen, but that's still a lot of button mashing for a routine operation.

Since the four "color" buttons weren't mapped to anything on my remote, I mapped red to L and green to S.

It's been working great, thanks for the tips!