If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

access folders on other computers or servers

BigDaddyMoeBigDaddyMoe Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How do I access folders on other computers or servers when I set up my libraries. I am using Plex in a container on UNRaid. I only have access to folders that are located on the server that plex is running on. I have googled everything. Please help! I am plex pass member and LONG time user.

Best Answer

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,255Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

your computer/unraid needs to be able to access other networked drives regardless of Plex. You can manually add an NFS path in the library location field when you add it

you might have to mounts drives. ( i am no unraid expert) https://support.plex.tv/articles/201122318-mounting-network-resources/

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • BigDaddyMoeBigDaddyMoe Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I tried what you recommended. I am able to link folders apparently, but Plex doesn't show any contents.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 22,272Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@BigDaddyMoe said:
    I tried what you recommended. I am able to link folders apparently, but Plex doesn't show any contents.

If Unraid is like mainstream Linux, make certain all usernames have read access to the directories and files.

Seeing the directory but not seeing the contents is a common permission problem on Linux.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• LeifggLeifgg Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigDaddyMoe said:

Is your remote server unRAID as well?
    Can you see the remote folder in the Plex GUI or are you at the command prompt?
    Are you connecting with a user name and a PW? If so, is that user setup on the remote server with access rights to the folder?
    I haven’t this setup for Plex but I might be able to set it up later when I get some spare time.

unRAID server 6.5.2 with Plexinc PMS Docker ver 1.13.2