If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

BUG in cast

slwtx1983slwtx1983 Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am on a Windows 10 machine, and running Plex Media Player 64-bit. I am at a remote location at the moment, and I decided to see what a CAST was like from inside the Plex Media Player app. So, I got on the WiFi and turned on my friends TV, and started up the movie on my laptop. Then, when I clicked the CAST button in the top left corner, surprise... It gave me options to CAST to all of the devices that are on the same network as my server at home.

No sense in a CAST button if I can only cast where my server is located, correct? That's a bit odd, wouldn't you say?

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 29,001Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

This can only happen if you have connected your friend's computer to your own home network. That's what a VPN does. Did you set up a VPN?

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • slwtx1983slwtx1983 Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No, there was no connection at all. It seems it was simply using the CAST option for all the objects that were on my home network, and not on the network that my device was located. As in, my server was looking at local cast objects, not my phone looking at local cast options.