Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

HEVC Videos Playback

mkummermkummer Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I converted some of my larger video to HEVC and had no problem with playback under Apple-TV. Since a few days, a video with this format refuses to playback on my Apple TV - the spin circle does not disappear and the progress bar goes through the whole 1,5h videos in some minutes w/o showing anything but the progress bar. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ZippoZippo Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You're not alone. I'm having this same issue and I believe many others as well. My understanding is that this is a known issue that was introduced with the last updates and is being worked on. Hopefully we get a bugfix soon.

• mkummermkummer Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Indeed, now playback is working again - I found some glitches occur during playback: every say 20 secs there is a slight acceleration noticeable. Maybe this comes from newest public betas of TV OS and macOS?

The described „stutter“ effect is still there. No real change.

• kevinbringardkevinbringard Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since I'm running my PMS on a shield I don't yet have access to this version yet... does this still require it be in mp4 format with the specific flags set, or will HEVC in MKV containers now work?

edited February 23

I have MKVs in HEVC and they work so far. Only thing is like written above the occasional little stutter during playback on Apple-TV.

• WatchTowerPlexWatchTowerPlex Posts: 242Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mkummer said:
    I have MKVs in HEVC and they work so far. Only thing is like written above the occasional little stutter during playback on Apple-TV.

I have noticed the same thing. I am wondering if it’s not the app but a bug in tvOS. I am on the beta tvOS so I was going to wait will the GA release was out to check again.

Good point. I am on beta, too. It looks like I saw the stutter in a television show, yesterday, too. Maybe it will disappear in the final? Have you given Apple input in Feedback assistant?

@mkummer said:
    Good point. I am on beta, too. It looks like I saw the stutter in a television show, yesterday, too. Maybe it will disappear in the final? Have you given Apple input in Feedback assistant?

I have not. I was going to wait it out

I did yesterday. Hope it helps.

Even with newest betas for both Plex server and tvOS the described stuttering is still there.

• JoeFoersterJoeFoerster Posts: 6Members ✭✭

It's interesting about the stuttering. I just recently started encoding with the latest nightly builds of Handbrake in order to use the built-in GPU support for my iMac Pro in HEVC 8-bit encoding. I quickly encoded a lot of material and then was watching on my AppleTV 4K when I saw the stutter. Seems like every so often a set of frames are out of sequence. Sometimes skipping back and playing them again will make them stutter less, or even appear normal, so I figured it was playback and not encoding. I confirmed this by watching something on my AppleTV that had been encoded much earlier and without the new Handbrake or even the iMac Pro. I had watched this particular video before and it did not stutter then, but does now. So something has happened to Plex server, I think. I have it hosted on a Mac Mini running MacOS 10.13.2 and Plex Server 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e.

@JoeFoerster said:
    It's interesting about the stuttering. I just recently started encoding with the latest nightly builds of Handbrake in order to use the built-in GPU support for my iMac Pro in HEVC 8-bit encoding. I quickly encoded a lot of material and then was watching on my AppleTV 4K when I saw the stutter. Seems like every so often a set of frames are out of sequence. Sometimes skipping back and playing them again will make them stutter less, or even appear normal, so I figured it was playback and not encoding. I confirmed this by watching something on my AppleTV that had been encoded much earlier and without the new Handbrake or even the iMac Pro. I had watched this particular video before and it did not stutter then, but does now. So something has happened to Plex server, I think. I have it hosted on a Mac Mini running MacOS 10.13.2 and Plex Server 1.11.3.4803-c40bba82e.

I was going to wait till tvos 11.3 is GA to test again and then I was going to do a new thread with logs. sample files, and a video to show the stutter so hopefully plex can fix it if it is indeed their problem...

I also noticed the stutter was in the same place on the 4k videos that exhibit the behavior. So it leads me to believe it has something to do with how its encoded/played back on the ATV

BTW I use the H265 Converter pro from the AppStore

• lederermclederermc Posts: 93Members ✭✭✭

FYI: H265 Converter pro from the AppStore is a software only app. Much faster hardware conversion can be done with ffmpeg and a relative new Mac computer.

• JoeFoersterJoeFoerster Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@JoeFoerster said:

I want to add that all my HEVC videos will play back completely smoothly if Plex serves them to my Roku 4. I can also copy those videos to the iTunes library on the Plex server Mac Mini and they play completely smooth through iTunes Home Sharing. It's strictly the Plex client on the AppleTV that stutters. Crazy!

• russirussi Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad to see that it working in HEVC as Direct Stream at the moment, even if it is MP4 File that earlier did play as Direct Play. At least IMO if I get Direct Stream I´m happy. Direct Play is of course more nice.

But one thing I see that need to be fixed, all subtitles are like 10-15 seconds to late. If I force my server to transcode the file to h264 then subtitles are in sync.

I´m running PMS 1.12.0.4829 and Plex Clinet on AppleTV is running version 1.24.1 (8229)