Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playlist "stuck" on Android phone when streaming to Chromecast Audio

Róbert KohányiRóbert Kohányi Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I've a Plex Media Server from where I stream music to my Chromecast Audio via my Android phone.

The problem.
1. On my phone I pick 2 songs to play after each other.
2. First songs starts to play.
3. I lock my phone or it locks itself after a while (meanwhile the first song is playing).
4. Next song starts to play.
5. I unlock my phone to do whatever (maybe add another song to the queue).
6. The Android Plex player still show the first song playing and this gets never updated.

So I have no audio issues, streaming, quality, etc. all is fine, except that Android player's "status" doesn't get updated.

If I'm on the road, listening to music with headphones, and I'm streaming directly to my phone everything works fine.

Is there anything to do to fix this, it's quite annoying :(

Plex Media Server: 1.11.0.4666
Plex Android: 6.12.0.3239

Best Answers

• Róbert KohányiRóbert Kohányi Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@Stevieeeboy said:
    Is all working fine now with the latest beta version of the app.

Waiting for the roll out then. :)

Answers

• natesykesnatesykes Posts: 20Members ✭✭

This has been an ongoing problem since about November. We've heard zilch from Plex regarding a fix. If you stream via Google Home it works, but It doesn't hand off to the Chromecast and stays connected so if the device moves out of range it stops

edited February 2

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I'll try and get back :)

Edit:

Well it works, somewhat, not the exact thing I'm looking for :(

• 4Meadway4Meadway Posts: 277Members Plex Pass

I've have the same issue...effects both mine and partners phone, both android.

• jefipopjefipop Posts: 1Members

So there are many threads about this with many people weighing in over the last few months. There has been no response from Plex? That doesn't bode well for the platform's support. I really like Plex but this little bug is ruining the experience. I hope they fix it soon.

• StevieeeboyStevieeeboy Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too ... though our devices has not been moving out of range, with two Google WiFi hubs there is plenty of WiFi signal for everyone. This is driving me crazy.

Lifetime Plex Pass
    3x Google Chromecast Audio
    1x Google Chomecast TV
    2x Google Home Mini
    1x Google Home
    3x Google WiFi

Hi @sixones please would it be possible for this issue to be acknowledged by the support team?

I am very happy to work with you all with logs etc to resolve, I am in big trouble with the wife as she cannot play her music. I would appreciate support's help in getting back into her good books!

We have tried on 3 different Chromecast Audio devices, via 3 different make/models of Android tablets and phones, either the music stops after the first or second track, or the track loops.

Many thanks.

Lifetime Plex Pass
    1x Google Chomecast TV
    2x Google Home Mini
    1x Google Home
    3x Google WiFi

I have, I believe, improved the situation though not seeing the tracks update though the next track does get played, by switching off IPv6 on my Google Home WiFi, switching off IPv6 on the Plex Server, rebooting everything ... will report back in a day or so.

Lifetime Plex Pass
    1x Google Chomecast TV
    2x Google Home Mini
    1x Google Home
    3x Google WiFi

@Stevieeeboy said:
    not seeing the tracks update though the next track does get played

Exactly my problem.

Sigh, it has gone back to playing just a couple of tracks ...

Is there a way to get Support involved, or do you think should I give up and find a different product? I can't play my music, don't have a CD player in the house, and can't stream from a PC (I'd need one in every room ... lol )

Lifetime Plex Pass
    1x Google Chomecast TV
    2x Google Home Mini
    1x Google Home
    3x Google WiFi

The latest update being rolled out since yesterday has an improvement for this issue. I believe it has helped a bit but not sure if fully resolved as need to test further.

I have become a beta tester for the app as well, to hopefully contribute to resolving App/Chromecast Audio streaming.

Lifetime Plex Pass
    1x Google Chomecast TV
    2x Google Home Mini
    1x Google Home
    3x Google WiFi

If these are the latest versions

Android version: 6.14.1.3753
    Server version: 1.11.3.4803

then it didn't do the trick for me.

Was supposed to be fixed in Plex for Android 6.14.0 : https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1624551/#Comment_1624551

Lifetime Plex Pass
    1x Google Chomecast TV
    2x Google Home Mini
    1x Google Home
    3x Google WiFi

Well, I'll try again, maybe I'm mistaken.

However, my assumption is that "Playback screen wasn't reflecting updates while connected to remote player" is only a fix for the case when someone uses the android app to playback music through Chromecast Audio and the app is in foreground and not locked. I think that worked always for me (receiving updates, track changes when the app is active), but I'll check. For the problem is that I lock my phone, leave it on the table, the music keeps playing, songs keep changing, but then when I unlock my phone my the playlist doesn't reflect when the actual playback is (the playlist shows for example that it's playing the 3rd song on the playlist, but the actual song that's playing is the 14th, etc.).

I'll test it nonetheless.

Hmm, it seems to work, but not always: meaning I've started to play a playlist with 10 songs. Checked the status of the playlist on my phone after the 3rd song, but the playlist showed the 2nd song as playing. Locked my phone. Checked it again after 2 songs and it displayed the correct song as playing. Sooo, it's better at least :) I'll keep testing it.

• dave84robertsondave84robertson Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same behaviour for me. Second song displays as first, third as second and so on.

Accepted Answer

@Stevieeeboy said:
    Is all working fine now with the latest beta version of the app.

Waiting for the roll out then. :)

edited April 12

I have tested the beta version (6.15.2.4143) this morning, it worked and for my needs it's perfectly okay. Cool!