If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex as a DLNA Server

BenBrittonBenBritton Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I previously used an LG NAS drive connected to my network to access all my movies etc. This worked fine with my three Samsung TV's. Space limitations on the drive forced me to upgrade to a WD My Cloud Home which is working fine and through Plex I can access my movies without any problem through the Plex apps on my various devices.
When I attempt to access the files through the network though, I seem to have a problem. The TV sees the different folders (movies and TV shows) and is able to access the TV shows folders and play the video files. However, when I try to access the movies folder it seems to time out and lose contact with the server.
All the video files are compatible (avi and mp4).
The only thing I can think of is that the TV shows are compartmentalised into separate folders and the movies are in one folder containing around 950 files. Is the TV timing out because of the number of files?

Any help would be gratefully received.

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 1,389Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

even so you should be able to access the "movies section" -- before you get to your folder with 950 items, Plex DLNA will have an entry point letting you check for "all movies", "unwatched movies", movies by year/decade, collection...

you could check if there's anything reported back towards Plex (go to Settings > Server > Help > Download Logs and check out the DLNA log (Plex DLNA.log -- numbered files are older logs).

• BenBrittonBenBritton Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry for the delay, been horrendously busy.
    I checked the logs and despite the fact that I am not too conversant with their interpretation, could not see anything glaringly obvious. I see lots posted about various profiles for TV's etc. Could this be an issue?
    It does 'drill through' to the movies and gives you all the options you mentioned, but irrespective of which you chose the TV does its' best but then does seem to 'time out' and return to the device menu. Trying a second time usually ends up with the TV not seeing the device at all.