Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Connection to server isn't fast enough to play standard non HD video

merischinomerischino Posts: 28Members ✭✭

I am using a mid 2015 MacBook Pro running HighSierra v 10.13.2 and just upgraded to Plex media server v. 1.10.1.4602 today. the problem existed before the upgrade but appears to be significantly worse after the upgrade. I use an Amazon Fire TV Stick running Plex version 6.12.0.3239.

When I choose media to play on the plexapp on fire tv stick, the show will load and I may get a second or two or perhaps a larger portion of a minute before it will stall for a minute or so before the gray box with the error message "Connection to server isn't fast enough..." will appear. If I go onscreen to the settings cog and change the transcoding settings to something lower, it may restart for a moment but again I will not achieve a full minute before I get the same error. There is no transcoding setting available that will work, the lowest being 0.3. In the past, a month or so ago, I was able to overcome this problem when it would rarely occur by selecting a lower bitrate (transcoding setting) and suffer a lower quality of video in order to have continual video however there is no tradeoff now available. Log files are attached.

Any help would be appreciated.
M-

Answers

• merischinomerischino Posts: 28Members ✭✭

I am still having this problem. Would love some help with it if anyone is able.

• SE56SE56 Posts: 2,290Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In my humble opinion it's your Fire stick and Wifi connection.

For best results to a TV use Gigabit Ethernet router with Cat 6 or Gigabit powerline adapters for connection to a TV player like a Roku device. I could go into all the things that can go wrong with Wifi but it will always be troublesome in some environments with High bit-rate Video.

Have you got your Mac connected to the Internet/WAN with Ethernet and use a Wifi Router/modem?

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• PwrbiltPwrbilt Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow, no real good answers to this question?? I have the problem myself. Will revisions in settings for lower Res playback help?