If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

QNAP TS-251+ WILL THIS WORK JUST WANT TO RUN PLEX FROM THIS ?

EVILSHO2013EVILSHO2013 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

this is the NAS i want to use for my plex whole house pros /cons on this setup, should i raid 2 drives /only one drive and is 4TB drives enough size or should i go with 6TB
QNAP TS-251+ 2-Bay Next Gen Personal Cloud NAS, Intel 2.0GHz Quad-Core CPU with Media Transcoding

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015VNLEOQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Tagged:

Comments

• monoxddmonoxdd Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭
    edited January 30

I have the ts 451+ model and zero issue with 1080p transcoding. Can stream hevc 1080p and 4k (directplay) without lag or freeze to 2017 lg smart tv.

• EVILSHO2013EVILSHO2013 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@monoxdd said:
    I have the ts 451+ model and zero issue with 1080p transcoding. Can stream hevc 1080p and 4k (directplay) without lag or freeze to 2017 lg smart tv.

ty for the reply what size hd are you running? and are doing a raid config ?

• monoxddmonoxdd Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭

For now, no raid, Just volumen simple with 1x2tb 1x6TB

• Rutger-LtCmdDataRutger-LtCmdData Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a TS-251 with an Intel Celeron CPU J1800 @ 2.41 GHz (8GB RAM), and it works well. My specs are similar but less than the one you post, and I can confirm that for me the HW transcoding works. Higher bitrate 1080p might be a bit much for that machine though, but it can do typical 1080p encodes transcoding. Just streaming original quality is, of course, not an issue at all.

As for storage space, that depends completely on your needs. I have it set up in a RAID1 array (2x6TB), but that depends on your taste. Nice extra touch of a RAID array is that QNAP allows you to upgrade your drive while leaving the system online and running.

• vitocorleone123vitocorleone123 Posts: 37Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited February 8

Just my personal views: If you can afford a 4 bay NAS, even if you don't fill all 4 bays at first, that's what I'd recommend. I bought a 251+ when it was new and, while it works fantastic for me, I often wish I had more bays. I actually ended up buying a TS-231 on sale as well awhile back just to handle PC backups at home (I had some drives not being used I threw into it) in order to free up space/bandwidth on the 251+. I definitely use in RAID as file redundancy is a big deal - I want to minimize the chances of losing any of my media or other files, even though that means I can store less.

I don't generally transcode video with it, so can't speak to that, but if you do, I'd definitely try enabling the hardware transcoding, understanding you'll sacrifice a little quality for a lot more reliability in terms of smooth streaming. As a file server, the 251+ is very quick and reliable. I use a SHIELD as my main PMS, and the TS-251+ for Plex builds/fallback PMS.

QTS4.3 is reasonable to use as well - definitely better than the last version of the OS.