If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plexamp visualizers: let us know how you use them!

elanelan CTO and Co-founderMauiPosts: 9,779Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited February 3 in Plex Labs

We'd love to better understand how you use visualizers in Plexamp, so please take a moment and let us know below :smiley:

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

Plexamp visualizers: let us know how you use them! 50 votes

I use ’em all the time!
44%
syncopationdazreeShadowbottlehub-plexmcrommertmrjlturnerRusty03TheMooDuder100gsqmfGalactic-Adminm4xcubeAstralRadishJR86d2freakmachineglowgineercomioJester.TuckerwiresJR 22 votes
I’ve seen them, but don’t use them (let us know why!)
38%
nosaj72dericoMorten Andresenridizmcpatonapm.vd.berggogorichiegdobNOForkerPugnatorRicardo Velasolitaryreignladvanunistylerml.bartonadamstewiegreendsjbpaulnicorntinu1212 19 votes
THERE ARE VISUALIZERS!?
18%
AnilDplaknagbookerbillcookarhoneycaxelbdzenlothmpbzhError22 9 votes

Comments

• termitermitermitermitermitermi Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i use them sometimes but they arent responsive enough and because of that arent really compelling

• adamstewiegreenadamstewiegreen Posts: 101Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If I'm near my computer (i.e. in my office), I'm doing something - even if it's not computer related. Music can be in the background but visuals are just a distraction. Obviously that's a very personal response and won't be the same for everyone.

Even so, on the off chance I was relaxing on the couch in my office listening to music and wanted visualizers on, there is no fullscreen option.

• Morten AndresenMorten Andresen Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The visualizers are pretty, and a fun addition to the app, but I primarily use PlexAmp while working at my main computer. So if the app window is visible I prefer it to be a static album cover, and not moving graphics that'll grab my attention away from work.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,779Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@gbooker / @arhoneyc / @Error22 ~ did you guys really not notice the visualizers? Is it the visibility of the VIZ button, or maybe you didn't find the menubar/tray menu?

Thanks very much for the answers and explanations!

• qmfqmf Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I use ’em all the time!

Soundprint is my jam. Perfect for work as it's not distracting and hides potentially NSFW album art. I really enjoy the theme colours each album gets and the visual representation of each track.

• NOForkerNOForker Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I usually use Plexamp while doing other activities, so it is almost always in the background. If a song comes up that I haven’t heard in a while or is a deep track, I like to look quickly to identify the album the song is from. So, displaying the album artwork is my preference.

• Jester.TuckerJester.Tucker Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 5
    I use ’em all the time!

@qmf said:
    Soundprint is my jam. Perfect for work as it's not distracting and hides potentially NSFW album art. I really enjoy the theme colours each album gets and the visual representation of each track.

I wish I could try SoundPrint, but Plex Cloud Server hasn't been updated in a long time (it's still 1.9 whereas PMS is 1.11), so it doesn't support SoundPrint, waveform seeking, loudness leveling, or radio stations, or ... well, a lot of other cool stuff Plexamp can do. :(

• gogorichiegogorichie Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I run plexamp in the background 95% of the time so I never see the visuals.

Lover of all things that make life easier ~ Plex fanboy since 2014

• wiresJRwiresJR Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I use ’em all the time!

Running the beta on Ubuntu 17.10 here, I reckon there are maybe 5 working visualisations. They're very nice, but I imagine I'm only seeing the ones that don't need HW acceleration?
    I'm also missing a statusbar applet.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,779Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@wiresJR said:
    They're very nice, but I imagine I'm only seeing the ones that don't need HW acceleration?

I'm guessing because I'm not sure which ones work, but many do need WebGL support, which might not exist if your video card doesn't have support?

I'm also missing a statusbar applet.

IIRC you can work around that by setting an environment variable.

• syncopationsyncopation Posts: 608Members ✭✭✭
    I use ’em all the time!

I'd love an option to make the visualizers fullscreen.

• GyozaGuyGyozaGuy Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I use ’em all the time!

I use visualizers, I'm a sucker for pretty things. One thing I'd love to see though is an option to randomize the visualizer each song.

• nnhoangnnhoang Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I use ’em all the time!

I'd love for the 'Spectrum' Visualizer to display the album art behind the bars.

• AstralRadishAstralRadish Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 15
    I use ’em all the time!

They're quite nice, and I use the soundprint one over the album art, but I'd like the option to turn off art/visualisation totally and just have a small player with just the current status text and the control keys.

• jennix01jennix01 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 16

I loved the old winamp visualizers, and i love that they come back with plexamp. But i would like to have some of them in Plex at my TV (a bit as in Kodi), i miss some kind of randomness (the visuaization theme should change from time to time) and i really hate the menu at the tray icon only.

@jennix01 said:
    i would like to have some of them in Plex at my TV (a bit as in Kodi)

Agreed!

i miss some kind of randomness (the visuaization theme should change from time to time)

Some have suggested switching to a random one every track (with the mode selected), not sure if there are other clever ideas.

and i really hate the menu at the tray icon only.

Me too! We'll make it a right-click-on-app.